Lead Screw Problem - Craftsman 6”

I also just wanted to add that this wasn’t meant to be a complaint about Clausing. Just a heads up for anyone else that is getting a replacement to check the collar before reassembling it and finding gear dragging on the collar.

OK. My comment was more for anyone else who encounters the same issue in the future. It is also possible that on the assembly line when yours was originally being built, that all of the various dimensions were on the high side of the tolerances (the "Perfect Storm" syndrome) and the machine required some file to fit in order to get it finished. Anyway, I would recommend that anyone else who needs to replace the lead screw to expect it to come with the collar already installed (so don't waste any time attempting to remove the old one). And to measure the thickness of the collar and the distance of its left face from the left end of the lead screw And then proceed accordingly.

Very good point. I kind of wondered about the possible of the tolerances adding up. I’ve seen that before on a automotive parts.

Next thing for this lathe is to track down a 3 jaw chuck. :)

Back