Lead Screw Problem

MattM

Active User
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I've had my 10EE a little over a month, no problem until today. Wanted to cut some threads as I have done on this machine several times before without incident.

Set up everything for threading. The lead screw would not turn. Called the factory. Very helpful pleasant people to deal with. The guy told me to take the cover off the change gears to make sure all gears were engaging. Did that all gears are engaging. He told me to call back tomorrow and talk to Scott who is more expert in the gear train.

I can turn the lead screw easily by hand but it will not engage mechanically.

Any thoughts?

In between gears maybe? Forward/reverse lever in neutral?

You may have sheared the drive pin. Take a close look where the lead screw connects to the gearbox output shaft. There is a coupling there that has a small diameter pin that drives the lead screw. The pin is a safety feature and is intended to shear if the lead screw is over-torqued (not sure if this is a word). Sometimes the pin is hard to see. Take some fine to medium grit sandpaper and clean the OD of the coupling and you should be able to see the end of the pin.

Hope this helps.

Tom S.

No, that wasn't the problem.

Called Scott at the factory. He talked me through it. The thread selector must have been between gears. I moved it from 16TPI to 18TPI and the lead screw turned fine. Moved it back to 16 and all is well.

He said this often happens when changing settings. Because the machine is so precise care must be taken to make sure all settings are exact or something will not work.

Hope this helps anyone who has this problem in the future.

Back