Leadscrew removal on Grizzly G0768

rongross

Registered
Registered
I am trying to remove the lead screw on a G0768 and while the manual diagram shows the left side held in place by shaft and key, I cannot easily budge it. I don't want to pull too hard for fear of damaging something. This is the portion to the left of the shear pin that goes into the gearbox. I want to get at the ball bearing on the outside of the gearbox for lubrication/cleaning as I am in the process of re-building a new unit and want to leave no part neglected. The coupler sleeve to the left of the coupler can't be freed until the screw is removed. The first few photos here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/DWD8L5AH8G4rGNxc8 show what I am looking at.

After further examination, I have determined that the bearings on each side (outside) of the gearbox (left side of lathe) are sealed bearings, unlike the two bearings on the lathe right side leadscrew bracket that have removable ball races and can easily be cleaned and lubricated. So I have decided to just leave it alone and will apply a small amount of grease on the outside of the bearings to help prevent air and contaminants from entering.

Back