Leaking PM1236 lathe

Silly thought, in the case of the gearbox does it have any kind of vent? Could it be when it has pressure inside from temp changing the oil leaks. Just food for thought.

Why would adding oil reduce leaking?
Adding oil wouldn't. I guess I was hoping I was wrong about the source.
I just finished up turning my hammer head and felt the bottom of the gear box. It's wet again.
I guess now it's just a matter of deciding on when the leak gets on my nerves enough to make me want to tear it down and investigate.
It's a very small leak, so that might be a while...

My 1236 leaked when I got it. I traced it to the carriage feed gearbox.
2D19D245-0ACF-40A2-AC5F-196F41F29DB9.png
The cap screws holding the front face plate (#53), to the gearbox housing (#56) were not tight. It turned out that the screws were too short and only engaged a few threads in the housing and the holes in the housing were stripped. I picked up longer screws and a tap to clean the threads in the housing , all is well now.

Happy New Year -
I've learned so much from so many of you. Thanks for all of your contributions. I finally was able to begin working with PM1236 I bought this summer. Spent 3 hours turning, facing, and threading 16TPI yesterday and noticed a leak. The sight glass level dropped significantly during this time. Not sure where to begin looking.

Attachments

• PM1236 Leak.jpg
    PM1236 Leak.jpg
    611.5 KB · Views: 142
They make dye for finding oil leaks in auto engines.

Back