Leaning towards a PM-1030V as a first lathe, check my logic?

jung4g, I forgot to mention the Brownell tool set you linked to. That is a 1/4" set, which is a bit small. Have a look at the AR Warner 3/8" set here: http://www.arwarnerco.com/p-12-kit-8-38-inch-turning-c-right-hand-left-hand-and-boring-bar.aspx

It has a RH, LH and boring bar for a not-too-bad price. These use CCMW HSS flat-topped inserts, which I presume is the T-15 HSS version of a 80 degree diamond insert. The same tools will accept carbide CCMT and CCGT in the 21.51 or 21.52 sizes. Note that the CCMW has no chip breaker and I'm pretty sure they're ground so they should be sharp. If they are like the typical AR Warner HSS inserts, you should be able to sharpen them by honing their tops on a diamond stone; just don't wait until the insert is really beat up.

These tools will face and turn without you having to reposition your tool post. The LH bar is double-ended and allows you to use the un-used corners of an insert, for whatever that is worth.

The boring bar is the typical SCLCR configuration and will take the same CCMT/CCGT inserts that the turning tools take. It is a 3/8" steel bar; contact ARW to see what the minimum bore size is that will accept this bar. Maximum extension will be about 1.5" deep.

jung, I hope your shopping for a lathe is going well, it kinda makes shopping for a car look easy eh.

Re carbide inserts or brazed tools, my experience has been that they are costly for a beginner because they chip so easily and are expensive to replace. On the other hand grinding your own HSS can be daunting for a beginner. One compromise is this product.
http://www.eccentricengineering.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2&Itemid
It can use HSS, HSS Co, Crobalt and solid carbide bits in a relatively inexpensive size (1/4'') and grinding is much easier.
Once you discover the versatility of this tool it will be obvious how well suited it is to general hobbyist work.

It does not do everything (like threading and boring) but it certainly has been a pleasure to use for me.

I started with brazed carbide but it was a revelation to me after a few years of hobby work, how much better HSS and HSS Co is adapted to my needs. I would even say it out performs carbide in most cases. Grinding our own tools (whether HSS or carbide) allows us to appreciate just how much the right profile and sharpness of a tool contributes to enjoyment.

Thanks for the replies. Yeah, I'm well aware of the tooling needs to get going.

My plan was to buy the same AXA Master Turning/Boring Tool Set and Chuck mentioned above to start. I already own dial indicator with magnetic base, drills, micrometer, caliper, etc. Beyond that, I'd need a parting tool, but I'm fine getting more tools and gauges as I go, just need to make the initial plunge.

For ttabbal and myself, looking to get into this. Are the carbide tool bits in the turning/thread kits from PM worth jumping into right away?
Threading: http://www.precisionmatthews.com/shop/12-internalexternal-threading-tool-set/
Turning/Boring: http://www.precisionmatthews.com/sh...ool-set-sized-for-axa-quick-change-tool-post/

The DRO thing seems more and more intriguing as I look into it. But that could be an addition down the road, maybe after I get a mill.

I have the 1030 and really like it. I shoulda waited and went bigger buuuuut.........you know how the budget deal goes.

As for the master turning and boring set, I own that as well. They are nice. To me, the oddball holders that are supposed to allow you to use the otherwise unused edges of the inserts are useless. The boring bars are useful as are the included inserts for soft metals. I found the CCMT inserts to be a bit weak. FYI AR Warner makes HSS inserts that will fit these holders.

I also have a PM keyless drill chuck and love it.

Quick update on this journey.
You've heard the stories about people that are open to mentioning to just about everyone what they're looking for, even just casually? Something like "I've been looking for a lathe for the garage shop"...

Years ago, I mentioned that to my now late uncle who had a full machine shop in his basement for restoring cars (think Stanley Steamers) and his immediate response was "Shoot! I wish you would have said that two weeks ago, a good buddy of mine just moved and gave his away". I've been slightly ill over that ever since. Fast forward since then (and 3 kids showing up to steal my time) and this go around I've been more vocal about wanting to get one.

Well my mom called the other day after visiting my aunt, now the owner of the old machining tools and she says "I told her you just ordered a lathe and she was just sick that you didn't call her first to ask about your uncle's old tools". My response was that I was hoping to actually order later that day and that I hadn't yet, but that last I knew my cousin was planning to take everything.

Fast forward to now and I'm going to visit this weekend to take inventory. Turns out my cousin already came and claimed everything he needed/wanted and that she's willing to let me come take the lathe AND the mill and all accessories. Basically I'm in charge of actually moving them, but she'll give me everything. She's just happy to know someone in the family actually wants them.

I didn't know much about the machines a few years ago before my uncle passed to remember anything beyond they're pretty big machines. She's under the impression that the mill alone is over 2000lbs.

Knowing my uncle, this shop was used daily for decades, and he didn't buy junk, so I'm excited to go check it out.

Honestly, while I kind of wanted new, modern equipment, I'm monetarily a ways away from being able to do CNC conversions on a mini-mill AND lathe, so getting these for free complete with his collection of tooling is really ideal to get started even if it's not cheap to have them moved the 17 miles to my house.

I'll post more when I have info on the machines.

It's going to be hard getting sympathy from us when you were given a full machine shop, and your only expense is moving it 17 miles :big grin:.
2 of my machines I had to drive 3 hours each way for, rent a truck, load myself and unload... Than fix the machines

Awesome deal for you, I hope everything works out well and you are having fun in no time!!!:angel:

Rich

Nothing like tools that belonged to a relative. Mine like that are special to me. Hope you do what it takes to restore them to their majesty.

Well, I'm super jealous! Make sure to post pics for us unlucky types!

Wow, What a terrific turn of events, Enjoy your good fortune!

Ok, took a first look at them today. Had my 6 week old with and a cousin had stopped by to visit, so I didn't get too much time to dig around and take measurements. But I snapped a few pics where I could.

Mill is a Clausing Atlas
Any model number plate seemed to be missing. Or I wasn't looking in the right spot.
Things look well used, but the action was incredibly smooth and tight compared to the few examples I've seen.

I'll try to search around to figure out the model, but the bed wasn't huge, maybe just 20 or 24" wide... 110v motor.

Lathe is an Enco 110-2035 made (in China, oh well) in 1989.
He had at least 4 chucks and 2 faceplates, a steady rest, and some quick change tool mounts around. Plus many boxes of parts and accessories like collets and the like. My cousin had already moved some stuff to his shop, so he said to swing out and sort through it all to take whatever I need.
I can't find anything on that model online, but I'm guessing about a 12x36?
Spindle bore was well over an inch, maybe 1 3/8" or so.

If anyone has info on them, I'd be grateful! I'll probably start new theads for each to find out more.

IMG_1901.JPG

IMG_1902.JPG

IMG_1903.JPG

IMG_1904.JPG

IMG_1905.JPG

IMG_1906.JPG

IMG_1907.JPG

Man, I would be so grateful to receive those machines, especially because of their special connection. Congrats, Jung4g!

Back