Leaning towards getting a DRO for my Bridgeport mill

I have an Easson 3 axis on my King Rich and very happy with it, mostly use the centre feature. I think a DRO on the mill is way more useful than the lathe as long as the dials are good, I still count dials on my Lathe.

The DRO on the mill removes the need to take into account backlash in the feeds.

Ted I see this thread is from month ago any updates.Can your axis be zero out as others have comment about?Any pics of the updates?I like reading that you are happy have you been able to put it through couple test runs?

See my other recent posts about the actual install and learning how to use it. I'll be happy to answer any specific questions.

Ted

Technical Ted, Some of the guys here would really appreciate some photos of your unit and your install. Seeing multiple projects helps to demystify the process, and helps us all see new insights into solving issues with installation... It also helps us to compare brands!

Even if you don't plan to purchase a DroPros system I would recommend going to their website and view the wealth of installation photos and videos for numerous mills and lathes.

I recently found some photos I took of the install/transplant of a DroPro's magnetic scale EL400 DRO system on my new Acer E-mill. Thought some of you might find them interesting.

I originally installed this same system on my HF RF31 clone, then transplanted it to my J-head Bridgeport, then transplanted it to my new Acer E-9x48 mill. I've developed some installation tricks I thought I'd share. Techniques should be similar for other type scales as well.

I fabricated the tool below, one located at each end of the table, which made it a simple matter to hold the long scale securely on the back of the table while aligning the scale and read head with a dial indicator, for the x-axis. Once the alignment is good screw one end down. The slots made it extremely easy to make fine adjustments while re-checking with the dial indicator. Then screw the other end down. Well worth fabricating the tool.

The pics below shows positioning the read head and scales under the right end of the table for the Y-axis prior to drilling holes. If you have a real Bridgeport there will already be existing holes in the end of the saddle you can make use of.

Installation has been utterly dependable and reliable for many years.

Last edited:
Back