Leaning towards getting a DRO for my Bridgeport mill

Technical Ted

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I've been a dial counter for years and am pretty comfortable doing so, but recently have been thinking about installing a DRO on my Bridgeport mill. Two axis is the path I'm taking. I don't think I would use one on my knee and I don't really want the clutter of one on my quill. For my work and projects, depth isn't typically all that critical. I've got an adjustable depth stop and that suits me just fine.

It started when I saw H&W has the Mitutoyo on sale for a bit over $1000. But, after doing some research, for my hobby use, I see that a lot of people are very happy with much less expensive units. I've been doing quite a bit of searching and it has pretty much come down to TPAtools and DROpros. These two seem to be neck and neck with popularity and endorsements from this discussion group and other sources.

I'm pretty sure I'm going the TPAtools ($365 free shipping) two axis route. They are over $100 cheaper than DROpros and users/owners are very happy with them. They have a 5 year warranty.

I'm posting this to get any feedback on my decision before pulling the trigger.

Thanks!
Ted

Stop leaning and just buy one. I would go with a 3 axis one if you can swing it. You will be amazed at what your old Briggie can do. You will also find that you enjoy machining more than you ever did before. I now use DROPros exclusively. When you do the installation, that extra 100 bucks will be money well spent.

Randy

My google foo is not working... pretty common for me.

I am interested in using magnetic encoder strips like Jim Dawson did on a DRO build. I'll keep looking. I suggest you at least consider this route.

<EDIT>
Jim sent me the link:

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/lathe-dro.58063/

Last edited:
Go get one. I use mine constantly. Besides the positioning the features like finding center and hole positioning is worth the money

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Technical Ted.
I am sure you will really appreciate a DRO once you get to use it. Most who install one would never consider going back.
Where you purchase from is up to you but I will leave you with two suggestions .
1 At least buy a readout with three axis. You don't have to install a Z axis scale at first but if you buy a 2axis readout you can't upgrade and I am fairly sure you will want too after using the DRO for awhile.
2 Secondly the most important issue with what DRO you choose is the Readout. Some Brands use multiple menus to get to the operations and are a pain to use while others make using the readout easy.

My lathe came with a generic DELOS readout ( One of many Chinese variations) which was a pain to use whereas my Mill has an EASON ES12 which is easy to use and as consequenceI have just upgraded my lathe to a new ES12B.
Before you choose may I suggest you find someone with what you plan to buy and try it out. There maybe someone local on the forums that can assist
Cheers Ron

Thankfully my new to me mill came with a DRO. I couldn’t imagine milling without one. I went with a tpactools on my lathe money well spent they also were a bit cheaper than dro pros. I kinda felt bad about not ordering a dro pros as I’ve heard good things about those guys. The guy at tpac seemed nice on the phone. I only spoke with him the once and have had no issues with the DRO.

Well, I pulled the trigger this morning and made a compromise based on suggestions here and others. I settled on the TPACtools 3-axis. Total price was $455 with free shipping, no tax. The cheapest 3-axis version they had at DROpros would have cost $287 more ($699 + $43 shipping). The units are rated at the same resolution and accuracy, but the TPACtools has a 5 years warranty and the DROpros only 1 year (unless you upgrade, pay more and get their better units). Sounds like the DROpros has a better manual, but I don't think a better manual is worth $287! Not to me anyways...

I've seen nothing bad by any users for either brand so they both seem to be very solidly built.

So, now I've got another project lined up! :)

Thanks for the input!
Ted

Ted - Let us know how it goes. I plan on getting one for my Bridgeport and install as a "cold weather" project this Winter. I'm also considering getting from TPAC so your review would be greatly appreciated.

Ted - Let us know how it goes. I plan on getting one for my Bridgeport and install as a "cold weather" project this Winter. I'm also considering getting from TPAC so your review would be greatly appreciated.

Will do. I won't post a play by play, but I'll take some pictures along the way. I just got a shipping notice from TPACtools so that was fast! I would imagine I'll have it by the end of the week.

Ted

Back