Leaning towards getting a DRO for my Bridgeport mill

For those who might be interested in buying from TPACtools: I've received 4 shipping emails this afternoon. The first from TPACtools, second, third and fourth from FedEx. The last one said my package was in transit and I would be receiving it between 9:05-1:35 on this Wednesday.

So, ordered on a Monday and receive within 2 days on Wednesday! Pretty sweet turn around time! So far, so good....

Ted

WOW! Just got another email from FedEx and they now say I'll be getting the DRO tomorrow! One day from Illinois to NY with free shipping!

I've got a few other irons in the fire, including my SB 15" lathe being partially torn apart replacing the fiber washer with a needle thrust bearing, so the DRO install will be worked in between other things.

I'll start a new thread when I receive it.

Ted

Let us know when you quit looking at the dials and only at the DRO.

FYI I just ordered a 4th readout for my mill. (Quill) A friend runs one on his and it sure makes for a fast way to do swap outs and resets.

Oh man... old habits die hard! :) Hopefully, an old dog can learn a new trick!

On another humorous note, got yet another update from FedEx and it's back to being scheduled for tomorrow again. I guess the previous one they were just kidding about it being here today! No problem, I'm very happy with a two day total turn around and I'm getting my thrust bearing from McMaster today so I'll be working on my lathe anyways.

Ted

Technical Ted, Some of the guys here would really appreciate some photos of your unit and your install. Seeing multiple projects helps to demystify the process, and helps us all see new insights into solving issues with installation... It also helps us to compare brands!

Sure, I'll take some pictures along the way and post my thoughts and opinions about the install and the quality of the equipment I get. When done, I'll also share anything that I would do differently if I was to do it again.

There are as many different ways to tackle a project like this as there are people who do it! I'll share my approach and I'm sure there will be better ways or different ways of skinning the same cat. A lot of the reasons I do things the way I do is based around the material I have on hand. I hate having to go out and buy new raw materials at the prices they get now days when I have stock on hand that will get the job done, even though it might not do so as elegantly. ;) I like things to look nice, but I'm definitely a function over form guy.

Ted

Please elaborate... why?

Ted
First, they have a website with excellent documentation. Second the adapters they supply require little to no modification. Third, if you get to the point that you have to call someone, you will find a technically knowledgeable individual on the line that speaks English as a first language
Randy

I bought a 3 axis EASON from DROpros for my JET 9 x 49. The manual was pretty good. Took me longer than it should have to install and then calibrate. Now that I've had it for awhile, I really like using it. I switch between " & mm all the time, (I prefer to use metric) I use the 1/2 function lots, the bolt hole circle function is handy and the trig functions are great. Being able to zero instantly, nice. I occasionally will use the multiple memory function. A 2 axis EASON came on my PM1440 HD when I bought it. Has worked fine.
I bought a Z-axis power feed for the mill. Saves a lot of cranking when going from end mill to drill chuck. It came with a shaft that had the wrong thread for my mill. I couldn't find one online so turned one on the lathe.

Back