Learning about 3D printers and looking for input

Somone asked about Octoprint earlier. I'm sitting at work, monitoring a 10 hour print of an Er32 collet rack.This one is the second attempt. The first try this monring didn't stick to the bed in one corner. My fault, didn't clean the bed all the way to the edges. I was able to see the issue and abort the print while sitting in the doctor's office. When I stopped by the house afterward I was able to CLEAN and restart.

View attachment 356939
Yeah, that was me.
I am glad you brought that back up. I need to look into it.

My son gave me one of his Raspberry Pis that he wasn't using (3) and I bought a Pi camera V2 and have been playing with it. I've got it wired into my router and the video is great watching it on other wired PCs. But, wireless absolutely sucks! So choppy it's not even worth watching and huge legacy. I've played with resolution, quality, framerate and to get it even close to real time the picture quality is terrible. I searched on-line and the saw a video that demonstrated the bandwidth limitations of wireless.

Anyone have any experience with this and have some suggestions? Wired it perfect, wireless is horrible! Am I missing a compression setting or something???

Thanks,
Ted
[/QUOTE
I found a solution to my wi-fi problems with RPIs (3B+). I added a wireless router right in the center of the room where I run Octoprint on 4 RPIs. I could run cables but it's not needed with a strong signal.

Designed and printed a base for a 5v relay that will control a plasma torch.
Gotta say, having a 3D printer opens up a world of options for things like this.
3ed00fd31b189399d537b12a132d3442.jpg

6d985648bad4f093920074245809a4f3.jpg

Yes it does. Drew this up in Solidworks and just got done printing it. Adapter for my small belt sander to my shop vac.

Attachments

• 20210228_160730.jpg
    20210228_160730.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 174
Well, after being held up because of "weather" for 15 days, I finally received my printer today! I hope I'll have it assembled in a week or two between my new GSD pup and another project I have going on next week.

It also looks like some nice weather is coming to western NY state next week, so I might just be outside enjoying it (and cleaning up)!

Ted

My new pup put up a lot of resistance, but I worked in enough time to get my printer assembled, tested, calibrated and operational! Starting a project for my son... a case for a Raspberry Pi Zero game controller he's making. Downloaded Fusion 360 file from Thingaverse and ran it through PrusaSlicer. Had no idea what I was doing in the slicer program, but changed some settings per the creator's instruction and created the G code. Seems to be working! I'll know in around another 3 hours.

Ted

PXL_20210313_152106353.jpg

Awesome my friend. That first layer(s) look good. Usually, if the first layer or two go down good, it is smooth sailing after that. After the first layer things like overhangs and supports can get a little persnickity at times, but the Prusa Slicer does a great job with those too.

I must say I am VERY impressed by the quality of this first functional part I made! No tweaking... I did set 3 parameters that the creator suggested when slicing, but that was it... Didn't really know what I was doing using the PrusaSlicer program.... just downloaded/installed it, clicked a few things, and out came some G code!!! :)

Also, I am impressed by the kit. No missing parts, all parts were high quality, the instructions were FABULOUS!!! What a relief after all the other import stuff I've been dealing with lately!

I highly recommend this Prusa kit!

Ted

PXL_20210313_184054875.jpg

PXL_20210313_184106608.jpg

PXL_20210313_184100574.jpg

Back