Learning about evaluating machines

ArmyDoc

Registered
Registered
So, I want to learn about evaluating machines, since I'd like to buy a milling machine and lathe sometime in the next year or two. So I thought I would post a few machines and see what people think about them. First up, new machine, PM 833T: https://www.precisionmatthews.com/shop/pm-833t-page/
By the time I add on 3 axis DRO, x and z powerfeeds your looking at $5600 or so. Which brings us to the second machine.

Its a heavy used full-sized Mill going for $5500. https://www.theequipmenthub.com/buy...y-duty-vertical-milling-machine-w-3-axis-dro/

What are your thoughts about these two machines, pluses and minuses of each, and which would you choose?

I guess it all depends on what sort of work that you intend to do; the PM mill is a hobby sized machine, while the Amada is industrially capable with longer travels , more power and ridgidity and larger spindle with 40 taper, a downside would be that tooling is going to cost more, but there is a good bit of 40 taper (used) out there. I personally would pick the Amada, given that the prices are comparable, assuming that it is in good condition with no problems, although, Cal. is a long way from Ga.

So, I want to learn about evaluating machines, since I'd like to buy a milling machine and lathe sometime in the next year or two. So I thought I would post a few machines and see what people think about them. First up, new machine, PM 833T: https://www.precisionmatthews.com/shop/pm-833t-page/
By the time I add on 3 axis DRO, x and z powerfeeds your looking at $5600 or so. Which brings us to the second machine.

Its a heavy used full-sized Mill going for $5500. https://www.theequipmenthub.com/buy...y-duty-vertical-milling-machine-w-3-axis-dro/

What are your thoughts about these two machines, pluses and minuses of each, and which would you choose?
Are you willing or able to do auctions?
At the one in Gastonia NC a couple of weeks ago there were two nice Acer 3VKH's which went for $4200 & $4500. -No Tooling.
There's a auction coming up over the border in AL next month with a couple also.
Meanwhile up here in Knoxville there's an older Bridgeport with a TON of tooling that looks decent for $3800.00

Looks like Japanese writing on the Amada so it's probably pretty sweet.
I agree with John on that one, but you might find even better deals. You might look at Cincinnati, Bridgeport, Gorton, and the numerous Bridgeport clones. You want to check for excessive wear in spindle and sliding parts. Replacing bearings in lathe headstocks can be expensive for some (like Clausing)
-Mark

Almost all heavy machines will be 3 phase electrics. As Dan mentioned auctions can be a great way to get a high quality machine for little money. You have to be prepared. Either have proper insurance, or hire a rigger to move. Still can be worth it. I saw a 3 year old Cincinnati CNC vertical mill go for $1000 plus 18% buyers premium a couple weeks ago at auction. Riggers had a $500 disconnect fee loaded on a flat truck.
They always have a preview day. I always try and talk with someone who worked the machine. You can usually learn a lot about how worn they are right from the horse’s mouth. Also machines are usually still under power so someone can run it to hear any problems or run it thru all gears.
Cheers
Martin

Are you willing or able to do auctions?
At the one in Gastonia NC a couple of weeks ago there were two nice Acer 3VKH's which went for $4200 & $4500. -No Tooling.
There's a auction coming up over the border in AL next month with a couple also.
Meanwhile up here in Knoxville there's an older Bridgeport with a TON of tooling that looks decent for $3800.00
That's possible in the future. Mainly wanting to get a feel for what people think about different machines for now. My biggest fear about auctions is there's no return, and little time to eval. The nice thing about the place I linked is they have a 30 day return policy, and you can get a hands on look at the machine. I get the feeling they are bit expensive though.

That's possible in the future. Mainly wanting to get a feel for what people think about different machines for now. My biggest fear about auctions is there's no return, and little time to eval. The nice thing about the place I linked is they have a 30 day return policy, and you can get a hands on look at the machine. I get the feeling they are bit expensive though.

Maybe stating the obvious, but auctions are cheaper for the reasons you mention above. Someplace with return options and the ability to actually evaluate the machines are more expensive. You are paying for a service. It's a tricky balance between wanting to get it cheap (in my case a price I can actually afford) vs the time and trouble of sorting through all the stuff you didn't notice, or didn't know to look for. But that's why I come here to learn in another way than just through my own mistakes.

For auctions the best tool is a zenlike detachment

Tim

Agree with Craniac above but it's hard to keep that zen when the bidding gets going- Personally I prefer to buy from individuals or a company with some sort of guarantee
-M

Back