Learning to TIG

DavidR8

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
Staff member
H-M Platinum Supporter
Over on the "Show us your welders" thread I mentioned that I wanted to try my hand at TIG. Looked at Everlast and got nervous about support, AHP won't ship to Canada. @pgk mentioned that he was very happy with his Primeweld 225. Did some more investigation and look what happened!
IMG_6133.JPG
(this is how it was left by UPS. That's a story unto itself...)
It will run on 110v so I'll do some practice at that voltage but I have some work to do before I can fully use it. I only have 40A in my shop so I'm going to pull a bigger service and run a 30A 220V dedicated circuit.

More to come!

Hats off to a good start! At least you have it! Set up those coupons, clean them up, and weld away!

I'm jealous, I got such a good deal on a Miller syncrowave 250 complete 2 years ago from a closing business, but I don't know how to set it, so it hasn't been used.....yet. It's wired, and fused for 100 amps too.

Get a bunch of coupons of different thickness and material. Practice just doing straight welds on the surface. get you amperage settings, keep a close torch height. Move on the filet, butt, outside and inside corners I got some great lines you can scribe into your material to practice weaving. Silicon bronze is great to start just to learn the motions as it welts at a lower temp. Your gonna get your coupon so hot they'll look like Pringles. Its a blast and super valuable to anyone who works with metal. Get yourself a TIG finger, save yourself some burns!

Zod hit it on the head. Clean you metal even your filler rod with acetone. Its crazy how much less frustrating it is when its clean....and clean your aluminum TWICE.

Hats off to a good start! At least you have it! Set up those coupons, clean them up, and weld away!

Thanks Oscar! Clearly you were following my saga over on WTT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get a bunch of coupons of different thickness and material. Practice just doing straight welds on the surface. get you amperage settings, keep a close torch height. Move on the filet, butt, outside and inside corners I got some great lines you can scribe into your material to practice weaving. Silicon bronze is great to start just to learn the motions as it welts at a lower temp. Your gonna get your coupon so hot they'll look like Pringles. Its a blast and super valuable to anyone who works with metal. Get yourself a TIG finger, save yourself some burns!

Thanks!
I’m totally stoked about this.
It’s a skill I’ve wanted to learn for ages. I’m grateful (once again!) for the experience here.
I’ve got a TIG finger in my shopping cart at my LWS.

I'm jealous, I got such a good deal on a Miller syncrowave 250 complete 2 years ago from a closing business, but I don't know how to set it, so it hasn't been used.....yet. It's wired, and fused for 100 amps too.

Surely there’s some guides out there for your machine...
As soon as I can dig myself out from the mountain of projects I’ll be at it.
Bathroom renovation, shop renovation, knurling tool build, tap handle build, garden trellis, irrigation system re-do.
Fortunately my sweetheart is completely supportive of me having the shop of my dreams so it’s all good by her

Pulse, cleaning, frequency stuff. I just need to figure out a set it, and forget it mode to start practicing.
1591401628149.png

Pulse, cleaning, frequency stuff. I just need to figure out a set it, and forget it mode to start practicing.

For what it’s worth, the manual that came with my machine is excellent. Very clear and well written with explanations and recommended settings.
I have a PDF if you’d like a copy.

Back