Leaving for London Today!!

Enjoy it!. I lived in England for four years in the late 80's while in the Air Force. Got to see a lot of Europe and spend a lot of time touring the English countryside and London. Some wonderful memories for sure.

If you decide to hire a car its not the driving on the other side of the road that is weird its what way to go when you reach a roundabout.
I never saw a roundabout when driving in the states so I dont think you have them.

England swings like a pendulum do-
Bobbys on bicycles two by two...
I wonder if they still ride bicycles or use Segway scooters now LOL

You weren’t kidding about looking the wrong way for oncoming traffic. Almost cut the trip short last night!
We are in Kensington, renting a flat.
It’s awesome!
2 blocks to the tube!
Thanks for the tips. We have no plans, just gonna take a day at a time and see what sounds good.
My wife has a friend who lives in London. She met us at Heathrow and got us on the tube to our flat.
Found a store and a proper pub when we arrived.

15 days in London.
I am a history nut so I plan on visiting the WW2 museums and British history in general. ...
What else do you suggest?
Go see lots of live theater. A 15-day trip, should be able to fit
in fifteen plays... Shakespeare, Stoppard, Gilbert and Sullivan, maybe GB Shaw.
Silver Vaults is an amusing place, too, for the metalwork. British Museum
had exhibits from Babbage and from the great chronometer competition, plus a goodly
historic bunch of tooling. They also had (after a LONG flight from Seattle) a nice
totem pole, just like the ones around here.

We do like it here!
Language is not an issue. France was a bit tricky due to my inability to speak or understand more than a few French words.
The Brit’s have a great gastro bar thing going on. You go to the bar, order your drinks and food, pay and tell them where you are sitting.
This way you don’t need to wait for a check, you can stay as long as you like, eat at the bar, play games etc.
Our first night we went to a local pub. It was crowded, a Canadian couple noticed our situation, we couldn’t find a table. They suggested we share their table.
I don’t remember this ever happening in the states?? Had a great time.
Yesterday we went to the Tower Bridge, the HMS Belfast, navigated the tube, went to Boroughs market, had a great lunch, plenty of options for wonderful food and all matter of edibles to purchase.
Weather was like a spring day in Seattle.
Today, the British Museum and Trafalgar Square.
I’m missing the SVHM group meeting at Benmychree’s today. I’m sorry to miss it.
Have a great weekend!AA015576-61AA-493B-A3C4-1E1FD7925A95.jpeg

I’ve heard of the Crown Jewels but I had no idea.
This is just a sample.
Today we went to the British museum, Trafalgar Square and Victoria and Andrew’s museum.
It’s all a bit overwhelming.
The jewels in V&A’s museum are lined on two walls with a center display, there are two stories to the large rooms.
If you ever have a chance, you really must experience the decadence.F1D1FFB7-6C6B-441B-BF02-A2A78CEC20EA.jpeg004BBCEB-4D6F-4531-B04C-F405E86B90C4.jpegCD608B26-81C6-4030-B429-31CCFDCDA5D3.jpeg551653F3-5E42-43E5-841B-57356471F6B8.jpeg19C7C13E-1E45-4426-8D99-772B071681AE.jpeg574F13AC-B37A-4021-A5C9-4DBFE740EA7A.jpegB09C37AB-DACB-44DD-BE12-AFB8801C27A7.jpegD8F993D0-DFD3-4EAA-924E-3110117EACB5.jpeg3387D202-D9C0-47AB-87E4-EB1613822421.jpeg

Last edited:
You will be astounded at how small stonehenge is in reality. I know I was.
I love all the armour in the tower and at Hampton Court.
When we left the UK in the late 80's my wife (not british) took me to see the crown jewels because I had never seen them before.
She also took me to Kew Gardens for the same reason and there was no excuse for that as I had only lived a 30 minute bus journey away.
I have a feeling you never visit the cultural places if you live near them because of some thought in the back of your head that its something you can do at any time so it gets put off.
I'm glad you enjoying it all.

Are you going to hit the Science Museum? How about RAF Hendon? Duxford is excellent and also hit Cambridge and the Eagle pub! Enjoy!
I walked the embankment from Parliament to the Tower, had a great day for that as well. It was cold and snow in the air just about everyday I was there in 2012, but it was in late March!

Back