LeBlond 13 Square-head Questions

itsme_Bernie

Active User
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Good Afternoon Hobby Machinists

I am going to be moving in a 1957 LeBlond Regal lathe in a few weeks. I am excited!! It is an early “square head”, 13 x 42, which actually turns a little over 14 inches.

I may be completely crazy, but for a machine from a company that is still in business, I have been having a harder time finding information on this machine than most I have searched in the past.

I am looking for a spindle adapter- the kind one would insert in the spindle, like the 5C adapter (and drawtube) that you could get for the South Bend Heavy Ten.

The spindle has an L00 taper. I am pretty sure the inside spindle taper is B&S 11? IF they made an insert for a collet, like 5C, 6C, 6H, whatever, I am curious. My guesses are coming from looking at some brochures (until a manual shows up in the mail soon). The place I am picking up the machine is a bit of a mess, and there are other machines leaving after mine, so I want to do my best to collect any accessories form the room (and try not to take the wrong ones) if possible.

The same brochure said the spindle “center” is said to be Morse Taper 3, which makes me think there was also a Brown and Sharpe 11 to MT3 adapter? The tailstock has an MT3 taper. Why not just use a B&S 11 center? I guess it is convenient to have the same taper available spindle an tailstock?

I have to post more info and pics as well in another thread, but I attached one pic for id purposes.

Thanks everyone!

Bernie

Attachments

• IMG_5515 __.JPG
    IMG_5515 __.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 22
You could buy a 5-C collet body that fits on the L-00 spindle, they work with a chuck wrench, so no draw tube is necessary. I had one on a 12" CK Monarch lathe, I think the chuck body and adaptor are separate pieces.

Thanks Ben
I may have a 5C collet chuck, but it was stored in such a way as to rust the L00 Taper to the point that I don't know if it will run true when installed on the lathe. I won't know for a few weeks until it is plugged in at home.
I have been having a surprisingly hard time finding this basic info for this machine! hah hah

Bernie

Info update for now, not tooling update.. But I found another piece of literature (confirmed by measurement) that the spindle, with no adapter inserted, is a short Morse Taper #5. The spindle adapter for working between centers is Morse Taper #3, which is what is sometimes listed. I am guessing there is another adapter with B&S #11, to explain those listings.

Bernie

Last edited:
Good Luck with your new le Blonde, I am sure you will enjoy it.
There is nothing like when you move up to a full size industrial machine.

You guys are right! I absolutely love my 10L, but this machine is meant to get work done efficiently. Now I can cut stainless steel effortlessly!
It has been cleaning up much better than I thought it would. It was definitely used, but it must have been quite cared for much of that time.

Attachments

• IMG_6245 HOME_sm.jpg
    IMG_6245 HOME_sm.jpg
    503.7 KB · Views: 6
Back