LeBlond Regal 15x30

ddickey

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
There's one of these for sale a coupe hours from me. Was sold to Princeton U and delivered in 1955 so the owner says. He's asking $3000. Seems high to me but wanted to ask here. What kind of condition would it have to be in to demand that kind of price?

For me it would have to include all of the original accessories and it would have to be in real nice shape. That said...it would be hard to find that quality in the new lathes offered today for 3 times that price. The big drawback is the spinde speed. If you're turning 1.000 and bigger probably not an issue.

1800 rpm is the top speed. It's a 3 phase so if I did buy it it would be run with a VFD so a bit faster than that.
I'm entertaining the thought of buying a new PM, probably a 1236T or 1340GT. It would be nice to have a heavy rigid solid lathe but I'm not sure how much better if at all it would be than the ones mentioned above.

school kids have been using it , look for hits where the compound hit the chuck etc.

1800 rpm is the top speed. It's a 3 phase so if I did buy it it would be run with a VFD so a bit faster than that.
I'm entertaining the thought of buying a new PM, probably a 1236T or 1340GT. It would be nice to have a heavy rigid solid lathe but I'm not sure how much better if at all it would be than the ones mentioned above.
If this machine was bought in 55 I'd expect it to have a top speed near 500. What model is it?

Well...I learned something. I thought all the round head Regals were slow. That makes it a very desirable machine. As genec said, it was in a school so I would check all the gears closely. Pull the cover off the headstock and inspect it.

Yes. If i go look at it I'll go through is with a fine tooth comb. Will bring some stock and turn it checking for taper and whatnot.
What's odd is the owner said he's never had the chuck off in the five years he's had it. I guess it's an L-O mount which in itself is close to a deal killer.
The other odd thing is how did it end up in MN from Princeton U.
Sounds like he's not going to budge on the price either.

Everything I have is D1-5.
I guess I was under the impression that L-O mounts we're hard to find nowadays.
Haven't really checked though so may have to rescind that statement.

Back