Leblond Regal 15x30

Maverick302

Registered
Registered
Can anyone shed some light as to the age of this machine? Any features that are desirable or undesirable compared to other models/years? I'm told it was used in a university setting and the ways are "like new." It comes with a Hardinge collet chuck, and a new import 3 jaw, but not much else. No steady, follow, taper attachment, etc... It's a 3hp 3ph unit, and I think it's just about the ideal machine for my space (garage shop so power and space start becoming issues if I go any larger). Should I jump on it if the condition is as he says? Or should I hold out for a better model?

I don't know anything about this model, but make sure to find out if it uses external change gears for threading. Up until about 1980 or so, many had a set that came with it. If so, see if they're around, and if not, consider whether that's an issue for you (though it can be used to knock down the price).

I don't know anything about this model, but make sure to find out if it uses external change gears for threading. Up until about 1980 or so, many had a set that came with it. If so, see if they're around, and if not, consider whether that's an issue for you (though it can be used to knock down the price).

There were change gears for standard threads? I'd never heard of that before, I thought even the versions that did metric just had a slide/banjo gear. Good to know, thanks.

There is nothing that I see on the quick change chart that would indicate that change gears would be required for standard threads, only metric threads would require them; it looks pretty much a cherry, if the price is right, go for it.

If I was in your position I would be loadin er up !!!............................ :grin:

It might be before 1979: after that the headstock box had square corners on all models... *all* LeBlond lathes in that era are very well built machines and can hold a good tolerance. that slantway on the front makes it a very durable machine - holding tolerances far longer than other machines in its size range.

It looks surprisingly clean, and that hints at good care for its life: If it is in your price range, and less than new for the size, I think it is a no-brainer. It lacks metric change gears/threading table, but that can be added later with a few gears and some calculations. Members here with similar lathes can help you by providing their gear combos/tables.

I would grab it up. We have a similar machine (where I work), it is a 1959 model. Very good machine, easily my favorite manual in the shop.

kjsmAij.jpg

H6NA3ik.jpg

OuvA1KK.jpg

Great pics, thanks. Yours appears to have the feed reversing lever on the carriage as well as the headstock gearbox?

The only thing I have reservations about is the lack of a steady rest.

Back