Leblond Servo Shift Extra Knob

Jobey

Registered
Registered
Hello All, I have just registered with the site and this is the first time posting. I'm also fairly new at machining, so please forgive my ignorance. I just purchased a Leblond 15x30 servo shift. Basically from a friend of a friend and has been sitting for a while. It was his fathers and said it worked fine when they disconnected power. I have read the manuals and watched videos on how it operates. The question I have is, it has an extra knob on the front of the plate. It seems to lock in and out of gear. I do not have lathe under power yet. But would like to know how this will fit into the operation before i hurt anything. I have read different places about a conversion to manual. Not sure if this is it or not. If i can figure out how to post a picture i will. Thanks in advance.IMG_0897.JPG

I think what they did here was done a conversion from the Servo Shift to manual. Maybe the servo was broken, or maybe they didn't have enough juice to power the machine, I don't know, but that plate is normally closed off on Leblond's that run correctly. Now you're going to have to figure out the speeds by trial and error, and that can only be done under power. These lathe's are really nice to use when they are complete and correct.

Well i got it under power. Looks like it's a three speed with extra knob. The big speed knob has no effect. Just the home made one with neutral in between. I printed the trouble shooting section. If gears are ok, would it be worth wild fixing it right or leave as is? Like i said it has low medim and high. i do not know actual RPM's. I have stock plate

The servo shift is nice, but I think you need 440 to run it. The lathe basically is always running. There is no on/off switch. When the lathe is not turning you can shift speeds, and the on/off switch is on the carriage to start it. If all is working it makes a nice lathe. I think not having the power for all the electrical was why they converted it in the 1st place. Personally, unless you're a repair shop, or have another lathe to steal the parts from, it may cost a small fortune, if you can still get the parts for it.

I have regularly used a LeBlond servo shift lathe for over 30 years, and they are a dream to operate! The one I use is a 220V 3PH model. I haven't torn one apart so I can't help you if your servo is not working correctly. sorry about that!

@Unionwolf Since the last, I have acquired tht Leblond, and it's servo is flakey. I'll be exploring alternatives as it gets closer to its demise.

Back