Leblond Thread-Chasing Dial

dllewellyn

Registered
Registered
Hi,

I recently bought an nice, old Leblond Regal 13 inch lathe. While the lathe can cut threads, it doesn't have the thread chasing dial which I am used to using. The guy that I bought the lathe from said he cut threads by keeping the half nut engaged during the entire cutting process. I guess he would just stop the lathe at the undercut, back it out and repeat.

I could probably thread that way, but wonder if anyone has added a thread dial or knows where I can get the parts to do this.

One of our members, grandtools, I believe, has a used machinery/parts inventory. He may have a chasing dial for you. It would be good if you replace it. Older lathes seldom stop quickly enough to thread in that manner, IMO. It can be done, of course, but the faster you can run while threading, the better.

Come to think of it, he's supposed to be hunting a compound for my old Monarch, Haven't heard from him lately.

You might send him a PM, or post a WTB in the classifieds here.

Thanks for the info. I don't see a grandtools in the memberlist though.

I will try the WTB area as well.

Yes Grandtools in on this site, not too often though, he has a lot of parts for sale, as I have bought a lathe from him in feb. He is in Pittsburgh, PA near me, so if you can not get a hold of him let me know and I will call him for you.
Paul

I sent Grandtools a PM; haven't heard from him yet, but I will give it a few days.

I see that some people have made their own chase dials. I think the LeBlond Regal chase dial gear is a 24 tooth 1 inch face spur gear. Anyone know if this is correct? Pressure angle?

On Amazon, they have a variety of realitvely inexpensive 24 tooth gears. I wonder if it might be easy to make a dial if the gear is available. Is it just a matter of making a fixture that holds the gear in place with a shaft running up to an indicator wheel? I know there is more to it than that, but is that the basic idea?

I took a look at the indicator on my 13" Regal and this one does have 24 teeth. is 1-3/8" OD and made of brass. The angle is slight, only about 10 deg. . You could get close by measuring the angle on the lead screw.
Hope this helps.

Doug

I took a look at the indicator on my 13" Regal and this one does have 24 teeth. is 1-3/8" OD and made of brass. The angle is slight, only about 10 deg. . You could get close by measuring the angle on the lead screw.
Hope this helps.

Doug

Doug
How about some pictures of yours, I need to make one and pictures sure would help.

Thanks
Paul

I'm having trouble getting a clear shot of the gear itself but here's a couple shots of the whole dial assembly, someone else already gave you the critical measurements of the gear so hopefully that gets you going in the right direction. Leblond might sell you a replacement part (for just a few hundred more than you'd expect it to cost.) I've had mine apart - it's just gear on bottom, dial up top, and a rod connecting the two so once you've got the gear it shouldn't be too hard to rig something up. Good Luck.

Dial1.jpg dial2.jpg

A 13' and the 15" take the same thread dial, I won one on ebay yesterday for a 15" so we'll see if it fits.

On another note the 13" South bend lathe has the same pitch and the screw is bigger but they both share the same TPI.

I tryed the one from my 13" S.B. and it would work fine if you trun the gear over and drill & Tap a new whole.

Paul

Back