LED A19 bulbs starting to disappoint

woodchucker

Registered
Registered
I have been buying the 100w equiv LED A19 bulbs for my swing lamps. I have 2 on my mill so I can light from both sides, and over my lathe as well.

I have been noticing that I have started to struggle to see well. I think these bulbs are like the CFLs, and are starting to degrade in performance. I can't be sure, as I didn't measure them when new... I have 2 old photo light meters and could /should have taken a reading. But while working on a new project yesterday I was struggling.

Anyone else notice this issue?

Had a LED desk light that did that to me. Got so dim, I couldn't tell it was on! Only took 2 years for that to happen. Wouldn't surprise me that the cheapo LED A19s are doing it. I have felt that some of my A19s are getting dimmer over time, but like you, I haven't been able to measure it.

It's hard to tell if it's the fact that the LEDs are aging, which they do, or the just barely good enough built in power supplies or thermal management are to blame. Think one could state pretty confidently that these items are produced to a price point, not longevity or performance longevity. If I recall correctly, many LEDs are claimed to have a 50000 hour life time. But that means at 50000 hours, their output is at 70% or 50% of nominal. Whether the LED manufacturer uses L70 or L50, umm, that's up to how "sleazy" their marketing department is. L70 is the standard. Tests indicated a 30% drop was noticeable by most people.

You are not imagining it. They are getting dimmer.

Last edited:
Something else that happens when LEDs age, the color temperature can shift. This can make it more difficult for your perception.

Issue with many of the LED bulbs is once one chip fails the remaining seem to cascade in failures because the remaining chips draw more current. I often find it to be a joke, when they say they are suppose to last 22+ years. What I have found is that in general, brands like Sylvania and Philips tend to hold up much better over time, and hold true to their color. They cost a bit more, but seem to do quiet a bit better then the generic brands. The Feit brands also use to be a real disappointment, but they seem to be a bit better these days. That being said, I have been using Philips/Sylvania LED bulbs that have lasted for many years and haven't needed replacement.

I won't use a phillips bulb. I swore off them when my flur tubes would only last 3-6 mo. GE and Sylvania for years. I started marking the flur bulbs with dates just to be sure I wasn't dreaming. Most of my basement is now LED tubes where I had to rip out the ballast and put in a controller. all except one light, and also in the storage area I didn't convert.

So far so good on those.. Also a remarkable cost savings in electricity my wife said.

At any rate, these are an assortment of 100w A19 bulbs. I like them because they are cooler than incandescent's, yea the heat sink is hot, but not as hot as the old bulbs. I have had a number fail already after 2 years... so much for lifetime.. lots of promises.. lots of liars ..

Back when HD was exclusively selling Cree LEDs, I bought some. I was smart enough at the time to put dates on the proof of purchase. When they died, I'd bring them in for replacement. HD did honor the warranty. Not sure if they do that anymore. Nowadays, I use a sharpie on the base upon installation. It's just for my information though.

Bulb lifetime has always been a joke. First with incandescents and then with following types. OSRAM, Philips and GE were involved with an illegal cartel to shorten the lifetime of incandescents to drive sales. Lightbulb conspiracy Link is an interesting read.

Even with all that, LED bulbs are ok, they run much cooler and consume a lot less power. And this is good.

yep, I was aware of the cartel. The original Edison bulb would last forever. There's a store nearby that sells old antiques, he sells the originals, and they still work. Although its a hoarders store. you can't walk in there. it's more of a climbing exercise.

I have been buying the 100w equiv LED A19 bulbs for my swing lamps. I have 2 on my mill so I can light from both sides, and over my lathe as well.

I have been noticing that I have started to struggle to see well. I think these bulbs are like the CFLs, and are starting to degrade in performance. I can't be sure, as I didn't measure them when new... I have 2 old photo light meters and could /should have taken a reading. But while working on a new project yesterday I was struggling.

Anyone else notice this issue?
LED's are known to decrease in brightness with age. The aging process is accelerated with increased operating temperature. A 100 watt equiv. A19 LED actually runs rather hot. The heat sink is internal to the base of the lamp so there isn't good heat dissipation. In my experience, the driver circuitry fails before the lamp dims appreciably.

LED's are known to decrease in brightness with age. The aging process is accelerated with increased operating temperature. A 100 watt equiv. A19 LED actually runs rather hot. The heat sink is internal to the base of the lamp so there isn't good heat dissipation. In my experience, the driver circuitry fails before the lamp dims appreciably.
I don't think I have that much time on them.
So whats a good bulb to stick in these articulating lights.

I don't think I have that much time on them.
So whats a good bulb to stick in these articulating lights.
I don't shop by brand. I look for what's on sale. When there's a good deal, I will stock up. I have had a total of less than a dozen fail since the A19 LED was introduced and our entire home, outbuildings, and yard lights are LED; probably fifty in all. I have had failures with national name brands as much as the off brands

I'm waiting for the 150 watt equiv.'s to drop in price. I would like to install those in my machine shop and woodworking shop.

Back