LED spindle light

Decided to attack this some more. Made a small piece from a tiny angle iron 1/2" x 1/2" x 2.25" long. Sort of spotted roughly where I wanted to drill mounting holes in the angle, all the while holding the angle up to the drill press housing. Drilled and tapped the angle iron to 10-24. Then made some transfer screws out of 10-24 SHCS on the lathe. Once I had the transfer screws, they were threaded into the angle iron.
IMG_20200510_115504.jpg
The drill locations for the drill press casting were then marked with a light tap of a hammer.
IMG_20200510_115525.jpg
With the holes marked, they were drilled and tapped to 10-24. I only drilled in enough to get 3 threads. Used some drill stops to limit the hole depth. Fortunately, the drill did not break through the housing. Had to grind my tap into a bottoming tap to get the threads to the bottom. Hey, it was a cheap tap, I got my money's worth out of it.
IMG_20200510_124744.jpg IMG_20200510_124718.jpg
Then I had to modify the plastic cover, so it would go over the new bracket and angle iron. I did the unspeakable, used the drill press as a plastic milling machine. :eek: Besides making a mess, it came out ok. Here is everything all assembled again. Washers were used as spacers, as the casting is not quite flat across the face. It's sturdy enough for the application.
IMG_20200510_151612.jpg
Ok, finally something for magnets to stick to on the front side! Next the light ring was disassembled to prepare for making more pockets for magnets on the front side. Onto the drill press for pockets.
IMG_20200510_160836.jpg
Now it's upstairs to mix some epoxy to add four more more magnets. Tomorrow, is figure out how to mount the larger power supply. The small power supply hasn't come yet. Seems to be lost in the mail, or was never sent. I'll have to cobble together a plate for the larger supply and mount it near the top cover.

Save for making the wires pretty, it's done! Made up the plate for the power supply. Mounted it to the top cover. Didn't have any 10-24 nuts, so I made a couple out of hex stock. It's actually nice that they are large, as it makes it easy to handle and attach in low light conditions. Drilled a hole in the side of the plastic housing to feed the power to the 36W power supply.
IMG_20200511_170810.jpg
The magnets in the front and back of the ring make a nice positive mounting for lights.
IMG_20200511_194600.jpg
Drilled a second hole to mount the switch for the lights, only to find out that there was a feature in the housing that would prevent proper mounting of the switch. Darn! I'll have to plug the hole somehow. Found some rubber grommets without holes that could plug this. The other side of the housing was flat inside, so I drilled a hole on the other side to mount the switch. Crimped an extender to the low voltage wires, as they were about 3 inches short. Wired it all up, and flipped the switch. Woohoo, there was light!
IMG_20200511_200637.jpg
Need to dress the wires a bit, maybe find some split loom to protect the wires. But the project is essentially complete! The 36W LED power supply doesn't get warm at all. The little black constant current modules do get warm after 20 minutes, but not hot. Later, I may move them and figure out how to heat sink them.

Now my other projects will be a little easier to do. It helps to be able to see.

double post

Last edited:
Back