Left Hand Metric Bolt Needed

lesrhorer

Registered
Registered
I purchased an electric tricycle for my sister, but the wheel base is a little narrow, so I want to extend the rear axle. I need a pair of M10 x 120mm matched bolts, one right hand and one left hand threaded. The right hand bolt is not really a problem. I can easily get it in just about any head style and material grade I want. The problem is the left hand threaded bolt. I have been searching, and so far haven't been able to get a left hand threaded M10 bolt that long. One possibility, of course, is to get a bolt blank and thread it manually. The only catch there is my lathe will not do left hand threads. I have also been having trouble finding even a 120mm bolt blank. Does anyone out there have a source for an M10 x 120mm bolt blank, and would someone be able to thread it? I am not too picky about the head style, although the existing hardware is all socket screws, so an Allen head socket bolt would be nice, but a hex head or flange bolt would be just fine. It would also be nice if the bolt were a bit stronger than mild steel, perhaps 10.9 or 12.9. The bolt does not need to be fully threaded. A thread depth of 20mm is more than plenty.

McMaster-Carr has them. A good selection but you may need to trim length a bit for exact length.

McMaster-Carr has them. A good selection but you may need to trim length a bit for exact length.
But not at 120mm length. Found plenty of LH m10's at lengths up to 60mm on eBay.

Did find a strange company called lefthandfastener.com, but their pricing was in the stratosphere. $152 for an 8.8 M10 x 1.5 150mm LH bolt.

Last edited:
Why do you say that your lathe won't thread LH?

Some lathes don't do LH threads, without installing an additional gear. Mine, a G0752Z/G0602 will not do left hand threads, unless I modify it with an idler gear. Price point - leave out stuff to save $5. Yet my mini-lathe will do both RH and LH threads.

McMaster Carr has 160+mm partially threaded hex head bolts in 10mm. Thread lengths are about 30mm so you could cut off the threads and rethread for LH.

Yes, I could get an overly-long partially threaded bolt, but I would still need someone to cut the threads.

Back