Leggos for Machinists

RJSakowski

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Well, not quite. About a year ago, I purchased five pairs of 1-2-3 blocks to go with the pair I already had. My intent was to use them for machining setups, etc. As mny of us already knew, although the Asian blocks have 3/8"-16 threaded holes on the 2 x 3 face, all the through holes are bored for the the 5/16" tap drill, making them unsuitable for use with 3/8"-16 fasteners.

My idea was to turn down the diameter of a 3/8" bolt to 5/16" to allow them to pass through the blocks and threading the last inch for 5/16"-18. I purchased a selection of 2", 3", and 4" bolts. I used my 5C collet chuck and a 3/8" collet for work holding and turned the hex heads to 3/8" to gain an extra 1/4". For the 2" bolts, I turned the diameter of the shafts to .312", leaving 3/4" of the original 3/.8" thread and threaded about 1" of the opposite end for 5/16"-18. because I had 1-1/2" of stickout, I experienced deflection on the end of the shaft so I chased the threads with a die. Because of the oversized tip thread, I couldn't check the threading progress with a nut but once I got it dialed in, I ran by the numbers on the compound.

The longer bolts were turned to .312" in segments to minimize deflection, again leaving 3/4" of the original thread. I then switched to a 5/16" collet and inserted the bolt through the collet from the back leaving about 1-1/2" exposed for the threading operation. All the threads were chased using a vise for work holding and double nutting the 3/8" thread. This was my first real use of the new electronic lead screw on the 602 and it was a real pleasure not having to mess around with change gears going from turning to threading.
1-2-3 Block 1 .JPG1-2-3 Block 2 .JPG

I tried to use 3/8" Dia. dremel bits once to enlarge the 5/16" holes.
A whole lot of effort with little return.

Robin Renzetti 1-2-3 blocks
I'm going to go out on a limb here and state irrevocably that those don't look like imports... -just saying. :cool:
How neat would a batch of those be in 1-2-3, 2-3-4, 2-4-6, & 4-6-8 with a pair of 1/2-1-2 as mascots?

I made 1000s of similar blocks for Joe when I ran his shop . All different sizes . He based his entire laser setups on them . I thought they were cheap but they did the job ! :) I wonder if he's still living , haven't stayed in touch . My daughter went to school with his son , who was unfortunately killed when struck by a vehicle .

My idea was to turn down the diameter of a 3/8" bolt to 5/16" to allow them to pass through the blocks and threading the last inch for 5/16"-18.

Great solution Bob!

I am going to use that idea, and I am sure many others will too.
Thanks for sharing it!

-brino

Great solution Bob!
Well, not my idea... What I cannot fathom is why manufacturers don't come up with designs like this that allow the blocks to be easily bolted together in numerous configurations. The common Asian ones we get, even the ones sold by Suburban Tool, have a bunch of holes and threads in them that are pretty much worthless to actually use for setups. Why hasn't anybody stepped up and started selling blocks that are actually usable? They put a whole lot of effort into drilling and tapping mostly useless holes, which costs money, and I would prefer plain, solid, no holes 1-2-3 blocks (at a reduced price) over the useless swarf catching holes and threads we get with the current ones.

Well, not my idea... What I cannot fathom is why manufacturers don't come up with designs like this that allow the blocks to be easily bolted together in numerous configurations. The common Asian ones we get, even the ones sold by Suburban Tool, have a bunch of holes and threads in them that are pretty much worthless to actually use for setups. Why hasn't anybody stepped up and started selling blocks that are actually usable? They put a whole lot of effort into drilling and tapping mostly useless holes, which costs money, and I would prefer plain, solid, no holes 1-2-3 blocks (at a reduced price) over the useless swarf catching holes and threads we get with the current ones.
Actually, the Renzetti blocks are a superior design and far more functional than the traditional blocks but unfortunately, they are not commercially available. Making our own blocks would require one to have access to a mill, heat treating facilities, and a surface grinder which is not feasible for most of of us.

The Asian block are what they are. My blocks were only a few dollars each and, IMO, a great bargain. My solution allows all holes to be used and for a couple of pennies per block and some lathe time, a great way to increase the utility of a 1-2-3 block.

My solution allows all holes to be used and for a couple of pennies per block and some lathe time, a great way to increase the utility of a 1-2-3 block.
Indeed, RJ, your solution is an excellent one. I will have to make some of those connectors and get the versatility that you have discovered. But still, why don't we see manufacturers out there looking to corner the market (at least temporarily) with improved designs? Seems like a no-brainer to me.

Back