[How do I?] Lenze Vfd And Control Box

Next to the lid screws are there are screw holes that will take #10 screws I think. When I removed my speed control hardware, I had that big flat surface to mount to. Your mileage may vary;) An angle bracket mounted in a convenient location would work well. I like my switch on the left side of the head, near the location of the original switch, but center of the head works OK.

upload_2016-10-14_16-45-45.png

upload_2016-10-14_16-46-4.png

Believe it or not I just discovered there isn't a plug on the mill. :face slap:

So I took some pics of the existing electrical wiring in the hopes that I can find out if there is anything out of the ordinary and some help converting it for the VFD. The first pic is the mill switch cover and the second is where I labeled the wires. The previous owner disconnected the mill at the switch box.

Switch Cover.png
Motor Wiring Closeup3.png

It looks like the the motor is wired for high voltage (460), you need to reconnect for 230V

Connect the VFD directly to the motor.
T1 (U) - 1, 7
T2 (V) - 2, 8
T3 (W) - 3, 9
4, 5, 6 connected together.
Ground to motor frame, there may be a green grounding screw in the connection box.

You can wire the controls like this

On #1 & #2 you indicated Black. Wouldn't #2 be White w/Black Stripe? It looks like the two connections perform different functions and cannot be jumpered, right?

My Colors are; BLACK, WHITE, GREEN, RED, ORANGE, BLUE, WHITE W/BLACK STRIPE

VFD Wiring.png

So I completed the wiring hookup tonight. When I plugged in the VFD it displayed an error;

upload_2016-10-31_0-59-48.png

That's not good. :eek: Time to check your motor and wiring. Something is going to ground.

Connect the VFD directly to the motor.
T1 (U) - 1, 7
T2 (V) - 2, 8
T3 (W) - 3, 9
4, 5, 6 connected together.
Ground to motor frame, there may be a green grounding screw in the connection box.

Did you ground the 4,5,6 connection by chance? It should not be grounded. My wiring statement above may be a bit ambiguous. The ground wire should go to the motor frame.

I found the problem... I had the 4,5,6 connected to ground. I fixed that and I am getting the correct display reading. I was also able to power up for a just a second from the VFD panel. The remote control box was not working so I am assuming there is some programming I need to do.

Oh when it was running it was running in reverse.

edit:... The motor was making a slight scraping sound. You can hear it as the motor begins to spin up.

Last edited:
Back