Lets See Your Shop!

Thanks Randy.

Funny story. About a month or so ago when they had just dug the hole and poured the footings I was standing on the back deck of the house looking at the hole in the back yard when my wife came home from work. She came out to look at the progress and I had mentioned I sure hope it was large enough. I was not being a smart ass, I was genuinely concerned that it wasn't going to be large enough because it didn't look any larger than what I had left. I thought she was going to throw my butt in the hole and bury me there. Now that the floor is complete it is starting to look a little better in size.

Thanks again.

Mike.

Problem is, it fills up in a hurry. I have a friend that just built a so called larger shop. He is finding out that it is now too small, he parks vehicles in it. The thing is, a shop is for working in, a garage is for parking in, and the two do not like to play well together.

OMG that is awesome! I am looking to do something along those same lines when we retire. Can I ask what state/general area your in?? I have about 10-12 yrs before we can make that move but am starting to scope out locales. Congrats and keep posting the photos

I should describe the previous photos. 1. Repair Bench 2. Bushing Center 3. Cleaning Station 4. Mainspring Station 5. Soldering Station 6. Sherline Station 7. Tool Chest with material Drawers 8. MaxiMat7 Lathe 9.Mini-Mill

Should have explained this in the previous post. Big OOPS!

Problem is, it fills up in a hurry. I have a friend that just built a so called larger shop. He is finding out that it is now too small, he parks vehicles in it. The thing is, a shop is for working in, a garage is for parking in, and the two do not like to play well together.

I couldn't agree more about the garage being to park in and the shop is for working. When looking I wanted a three car garage on the house for parking the daily drivers in preferably with the third bay being double deep. We lucked out in our search for our dream home. My third bay is 12'7" wide by 50' deep and I installed a loft for storage at the back very first thing. Under that is where I will store my lawn & garden equipment. At the front of the third bay is where I will park my lifted Duramax and my Harley for daily driving options. I also like the fact that the side by side portion of the garage on the house has an 18' wide door. That makes it so nice for pulling my Jeep in straight and my wife pulling her Acura in with plenty of room that the doors can open fully without hitting one another or walls.

Out in the shop/RV garage will be the actual working shop (40'x50') and in the storage bay will be the coach and enough room for two cars end to end beside the coach plus random storage. I hope to someday be able to build another muscle car or two and this way all our vehicles will be parked indoors and much more room for working.

That's the plan anyways.

Mike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OMG that is awesome! I am looking to do something along those same lines when we retire. Can I ask what state/general area your in?? I have about 10-12 yrs before we can make that move but am starting to scope out locales. Congrats and keep posting the photos

Thanks. I appreciate that.

I am approx the same time away from retirement. I am 48 and hope to retire in the 58-60 age range (10-12 years) as we should have this paid off in the 10+ range. We had paid our last home off about 11 years ago so we only borrowed 15 on this one and plan to have it paid off in around 10-ish or so.

I am in Northern Utah and we had to look around for a city/county that would allow us to build this size detached on less than an acre as I didn't want any more property than necessary as I knew as I aged it would be more to maintain. Ideally I wanted 3/4 of an acre and we ended up with .69 lot so the city allowed me to build a 3k square foot detached.

We used to live in Davis County up until a few months ago and with the traffic and very strict building codes for size I couldn't get out if Davis County fast enough. They were completely uncooperative to try and deal with.

Mike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like a real nice spot, and a great shop space Mike. I'm some hours south in northwest CO. Cheers, Mike

Sounds like a real nice spot, and a great shop space Mike. I'm some hours south in northwest CO. Cheers, Mike

Thanks, I appreciate that.

I hope to be able to post up some completed pictures here in the next couple of months as well as a completed yard.

Mike.

Back