Lets See Your Shop!

Old Iron

Active User
Registered
I looked and didn't see a thread about this so I figured I start one.I've only been working on my shop about 4 years! First three pictures our of SWMO'S shop cause thats one way to get to mine. I still need to finish hers but need to plane some more oak for more trim.

The forth one is a covered walk way to mine. Next is my computer desk,Next is Hight Gauges and some of my oil cans. Then some model Harley Choppers. Machinerys Hand Books I'm trying to get all of them.

Paul
SWMOShop.jpg
SWMOShop2.jpg
DoorToHouse.jpg
OwningToMyShop.jpg
ComputerDesk.jpg
HightGaogesAndOilCans.jpg
Choppers.jpg
MachinerysHandbook.jpg

Nice shop Dave! As long as you can get to what you need its not messy! Looks like you have some nice machines and tooling.

Ok some more! ;D

12" Hendey Shaper.
2inchHendeyShaper.jpg
Clausing Lathe.
ClausingLathe.jpg
Cinnanatti/Beckford camel back Drill Press.
CinnBeckford.jpg
Chart And Picture Of Old Lathe.
ChartsandPicture.jpg
Unfinished Ceiling I have the metal but need some help.
Cealing.jpg
Southbend shop clock.
SouthbendClock.jpg
Storage when I get the electril stuff where it needs to be and the Southbend put back togather I'll have a lot more room on the shelves.
Storage.jpg

Only a couple more to bore you.
Electrical Box's left to right,Three Phase Box,RPC Control Box and Single phase box. The motor for the phase converter is in the old shop.
Electrical.jpg
H.F. cart I built a NMTB40 tool holder to put on it. Keep it next to the Vertical Mill.
NMTH40ToolCart.jpg
One of my gun projects.
GunProject.jpg
Tool box fridge and another line shaft machine picture!
ToolBoxAndfridge.jpg
My 13" Southbend Lathe.
SouthbendParts.jpg

Thats all folks! ::)

Paul

author=David Utidjian link=topic=526.msg2423#msg2423 date=1294255309
author=Old Iron link=topic=526.msg2409#msg2409 date=1294248165
Machinerys Hand Books I'm trying to get all of them.

Kinda like collecting Gideon's bibles... the info doesn't change much... but whatever floats-your-boat. ::)

-DU-

I also collect guns... they all do about the same thing... Just some do it better than others...But what ever :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice shop. I am looking for my 1st machinerys handbook. Every time i find one on ebay it sells before i bid. Your 13" lathe looks like my heavy 10 and my SB 15" but i will find a spot for them. That remindes me someone wants to sell a camel back drill press and i need to go look them up. It was the same drill i ran 17 years ago in the big shop...Bob

It's a mite crowded in my shop:

The venerable work bench, neat as usual:

08ffshop05.jpg

And, of course, the tool drawers:

09ffshop08.jpg

The old wood cutting band saw - my first power tool bought in 1969 with the proceeds from my first guitar sale:

10ffshop07.jpg
After 35 years it's still on its "temporary " stand. . .

Grizzly 6" belt/disc sander and the ever useful 1x42 sander:

sanders.jpg

I bought the slow version (2500 sfpm) Grizzly 6x48 belt and disc sander combo. After having the machine for a couple of years I realized that I never used the disc, so in late May, 2006 I took that part off stuck on a v-belt pulley and added my 1x42 sander onto the right end of the base. The 1x42 sander is clearly the most used power tool in our guitar shop, and my home version has served me well for 30 years at least.

Moving the small sander freed up some bench space, and in the process, I actually cleaned my bench and slopped on a new coat of epoxy. I won't be getting used to this sight:

cleanbench.jpg
By the next day, the bench was covered with crapola, as usual.

Big Grizzly drill press. Hefty and strong, it does a job:

13ffshop06.jpg

I finally jettisoned the Craftsman one with the wonky spindle in 2002. In the foreground is my most recent shop vac, and the first one I really use. It has a very quiet motor and 1-1/2" hose that's easy to handle. I've made an assortment of PVC "wands" which I find much more useful than the tools that come with these things.

1943 (part of the War Effort) Delta metal cutting band saw:

14ffshop09.jpg

I got this one in about 1975 by dumb luck in a want ad.

Rusnok:

15ffshop10.jpg
Until 2004, my only mill. It's a great small tool, made in Milwaukee. Not cheap, but cool and really handy for small jobs.

Qunicy in the corner:

17ffshop11.jpg
In retrospect, I'd have gotten a single stage unit, but this one puts out all I need for air sanders, so I have no real complaints.

Cheesy Sears grinder (the next tool on the "hit" list) and Baldor buffer:

18ffshop15.jpg
They're wired from overhead, and I just spin the cabinet around to use the buffer.

The big guy, Sharp 9x42 mill, digital variable speed, DRO, power drawbar, etc:

19ffshop03.jpg
It's great having a full size mill. And, with DRO, I've quit thinking about backlash in table screws.

The photo above was taken just after I got the mill in 2004, when the shop wasn't nearly as full as it is now. Here's how the mill looks in 2009:

sharpmill01.jpg

You can see that my rubber sheeting shields every sliding part from chips i t's held up by magnets, as are lots of things in my shop. I routinely get into milling stuff that leaves a big mess, such as wood, plastic and cast iron, and with the ways so completely covered I don't have to worry about clogging things up with abrasive swarf. Also visible is my plastic sheet curtain that hangs behind and to the left of the mill, allowing me to blow off chips with compressed air from the right side, where I'm typically standing. The chips hit the curtain and fall "neatly" to the floor."

That's my new swing arm lamp at the yellow arrow. It's bigger than it looks in this photo because it's moved far to the left. It mounts on the light bar, as does the rubber sheeting. The red arrow points to my cigarette paper substitute - .002" thick pieces of a phone book. The blue arrow indicates the Magic Arm, a camera accessory that has a quick-mount plate system. I made extra plates so I can have clamps, air blower, vacuum or other accessories mounted for easy positioning when I need them for milling operations.

And, the star of the show, Sharp 1118H high precision toolroom lathe:

sharplathe01.jpg

I have the lathe right up against the wall, which has some plastic sheeting stapled on, and tucked into the chip pan. That way, any chipsor small parts hit the wall and drop into the pan rather than falling into the abyss behind a heavy tool. Up to the left is a Kennedy box filled with gauges, indicators, mics, etc., below which are hanging the digital caliper and micrometer I use most often.

You can see the dirty sock cover on the collet closer. Most of my work is less than an inch in diameter, so collets get a good workout. I have an assortment of chucks as well, some of which are hanging on the wall behind the tailstock. Most of them are cut off in the photo, but you can see the wood handles of my "simple lathe spindle tools"along with swarf pickup tools and a couple of files - just some items that make life a bit easier. The yellow arrow points to the lathe file that sits in an oil bath - a Guy Lautard idea. At the back end of that same yellow arrow is a rack of common size drill bits for making quick holes.

Mounted on the wall and at the point of the red arrow is another Magic Arm - the one I use mostly for holding a camera when photographing lathe operations

Jammed in the corner against the big door is my 1976 Rockwell/Delta Unisaw:

tablesaw.jpg

Mostly, it's a Uni-utility-table, but it still gets some exercise out on the driveway were I can take advantage of "nature's dust collector."

I'd never want to be without a Versa Vise:

versavise.jpg

Positively the most handy and useful light duty workholding de-vise. Here's more about this tool, should you care.

A couple of years ago I made up a pair of these light standards for doing photography of my work and Joy's pottery:

lightstand01.jpg

It has six of those twisty 26-watt fluorescent bulbs that are supposed to replace 100 watt incandescents, and gives a strong even light. I recently discovered that this portable light makes a great worklight for sensitive jobs. I can just walk it over to the mill or lathe and get the equivalent of 600 watts of firepower to light up the area.

It doesn't get really cold around here, but we do have our nights down to about 30 degrees Fahrenheit, so I've struggled with heat in this old garage, and finally came up with a great solution to the problem. I got a pair of these 3000 watt quartz radiant heaters from MSC, and stuck them up near the 9-foot ceiling:

shopheat02.jpg

Not wanting to spend a lot of $$ on heat, I figured I'd have them on only when I was actually in the shop, so I switched them individually and wired them through a spring wound heavy duty timer:

shopheat01.jpg

Now, I can walk into the cold shop, twist the timer for an hour or so, and the heaters warm me directly without having to cook the entire contents of the building. If I forget to turn them off, the timer takes care of that for me. Really, there's no point in having a thermostat.

Recently I decided that it would be interesting to get a sense of exactly how much time I spend in my home shop, so I installed this hour meter on the light circuit:

hourmeter.jpg

I hope this resolves any question about my tenuous hold on sanity. . .

Here's a great old 8" diameter certified pressure gauge I found at a garage sale:

pressuregauge.jpg

I have it mounted near the ceiling so I can see my air line status at a glance. Another "just for fun" item, of course.

And, to keep sane, I have my tunes:

ipod.jpg
Stuck on top of an old stereo amp and set on random play, I have my music whenever NPR isn't what I want to listen to.

Of course, this was right after I cleaned the place up. I had to have a picture to remind me what the floor looks like and what it's like to be able to move from one side of it to the other without tripping over something.LOL Next to the stove is a 1947 13" SBL. To the right of the red tool boxes is my Granite 12X24 and the lathe tool box. On the other side of the boat is the drill press, the power hack saw, the 2X72 belt grinder, and the Atlas horizontal mill. To the right of the mill is the door to my storage area, which is an 8X40 cargo container. A lot of the stuff is hard to see because of the low, high output lighting over the lathes. Oh and my welding an repair table to the right side of the picture. The beer frig is to the right of the table. The mower on the chain fall is my wife's project. She's replacing the steering gear in it.

Clean shop b.JPG

Clean shop b.JPG

Twenty five by twenty five feet with a ten foot ceiling.
The previous owner had installed a 100 amp service panel and the shop
was wired but other than that unfinished inside.
Notice there is still room for more machines.

Terry

1b.JPG 2b.JPG 3b.JPG 4b.JPG

5b.JPG 6b.JPG 7b.JPG

1b.JPG 2b.JPG 3b.JPG 4b.JPG 5b.JPG 6b.JPG 7b.JPG

Back