Let's See Your Tractors

Sorry if this is a distraction but here goes...

Where I live used to be all farm land in the 60's but it's all built up now with the exception of a few active farms and quite a few horse ranches. Anyhow, across the road from me is a retirement home and as the elderly farmers find their way to the retirement home, they often have estate sales on the front grounds of the place. Every day, I drive by these beautiful old tractors -the plain and simple kind. Most have rear wheels that are between 4 to 6 feet tall. All of them are older machines, I'm guessing between 50 to 70 years old and most of them are in excellent looking condition.

I have no place to put one -much less a need to own one but man, I sure want one. I'll take pics if you want. I drive by every day. Some of the machines are just a few grand asking price...

Ray

Sorry if this is a distraction but here goes...

Where I live used to be all farm land in the 60's but it's all built up now with the exception of a few active farms and quite a few horse ranches. Anyhow, across the road from me is a retirement home and as the elderly farmers find their way to the retirement home, they often have estate sales on the front grounds of the place. Every day, I drive by these beautiful old tractors -the plain and simple kind. Most have rear wheels that are between 4 to 6 feet tall. All of them are older machines, I'm guessing between 50 to 70 years old and most of them are in excellent looking condition.

I have no place to put one -much less a need to own one but man, I sure want one. I'll take pics if you want. I drive by every day. Some of the machines are just a few grand asking price...

Ray

The beauty of tractors especially old tractors is the simplicity of design. You can see from a distance what they are designed to do, form follows function. Working on them is simple for the most part, but it does require some ingenuity because some parts are "supersized". If you own an old tractor, it is perfect justification for owning machine tools so that you can make your own parts. I've always said having a metal lathe adds a whole new dimension to the home shop, having a tractor adds a new dimension to yard work. That's what I keep telling the wife anyway. Those old farmers liked Cub Cadets for the yard work, find one of those to fix up. They don't take up much room.

I didn't include a picture of my little Bobcat skid steer in my tractor pictures so here it is.

DSCF1794.JPG

DSCF1794.JPG

I'm loving the look of your patinated JD just as it is Ron, a good wipe over with an oily rag is all you need to do....:thumbzup:

Thats a nice little machine. Ive always wanted one of those tiny skid loaders like then use for cleaning cattle stalls.

I became the owner of this 1946 Ford 2N when I bought my house , along with a Ford 2 bottom plow, a Montgomery Ward(!) Bush Hog and a few other pieces. This is a pic from when we bought the house, I've been slowly refurbishing it, but that Farmall paint is still on it.
i-WKXKhQj-S.jpg

This is the last time my Craftsman GT3000 was alive, the 2011 blizzard. This is me helping a neighbor clear his 150' driveway. Unfortunately, somewhere during the 8 hours of plowing I did that day the oil filter loosened and I lost most of the oil. I was completely unaware of it until I started it up in the spring to take off the snow thrower, and it seized, destroying a rod and several other important parts.:angry: No trace of oil in the barn, so thats why I figured it happened during that last time it was used. I'm still debating whether to rebuild it or not. I'll have to buy a new block and transfer the external parts as Kohler doesn't sell that engine anymore. That snow thrower was unstoppable, unlike all of my neighbor's walk behind units.
i-6vCm8PL-S.jpg i-vmBx6QZ-S.jpg

At least one of our dogs enjoyed the snow. The rest were too darn small! LOL
i-KNSr5Gq-S.jpg

I also have a Cub Cadet LTX1050, but no photo of that one. I have to say it beats the old craftsman mower in all respects.

edit: I don't know how those two attachments got in here at the bottom of the post, and can't see how to remove them. Sorry !

i-WKXKhQj-S.jpg i-zmkd5dF-M.jpg i-vmBx6QZ-M.jpg i-vmBx6QZ-S.jpg i-6vCm8PL-S.jpg i-KNSr5Gq-S.jpg

i like this post took this picture yesterday note the grass is still green

008.JPG

I'm loving the look of your patinated JD just as it is Ron, a good wipe over with an oily rag is all you need to do....:thumbzup:

Don't worry, it won't see anything fancy - like paint. :biggrin: I'll take it apart enough so that I can clean out the tanks and repair any rust I find but the rest of the focus will be on the mechanical. My concern is most always "function" and getting it to run/operate as it should.

-Ron

Thats a nice little machine. Ive always wanted one of those tiny skid loaders like then use for cleaning cattle stalls.

I do use it to clean out the cattle pens but mainly it's used for picking up logs for firewood and loading them on the trailer. I cut trees in the winter when the ground is frozen and cut them into 6-8 foot lengths. Load them on the trailer behind the Case SC and haul them out of the woods. Then all thru the rest of the year I cut the logs to firewood length and spit them.

This is the pile I have waiting for me to work on.

DSCF1812.JPG

I've still got 4-5 more trees to cut this winter but the weather isn't cooperating.

DSCF1812.JPG

Back