Lets show them what we Know

Hi Rickard,
Here"s another item that I documented during the fab on the ship above. These are wooden cleats that they use for tying lines. Its not a difficult part but one needs to make many of them for one ship. So slicing them up makes good sense. These are rosewood:
Serapis277.jpgSerapis278.jpgSerapis281.JPGSerapis279.JPGSerapis278A.jpgSerapis283.jpgSerapis284.JPGSerapis288.jpgSerapis290.JPG

Serapis277.jpg Serapis278A.jpg Serapis281.JPG Serapis279.JPG Serapis278.jpg Serapis283.jpg Serapis284.JPG Serapis288.jpg Serapis290.JPG

I asked 32 if we could have some space for the different Table Top Machines. I know there are More of us out there that do Small stuff, As part of another Hobby or due to space restrictions. I my self, race slot cars and about 80% of my Machining is for them. I also am Lumbered with living in a small Apt, so I have no room ADULT sized tools. so let's get talking and sharing.

just wanted to introduce myself. my name is Kevin and i just traded for 2 emco unimat 3 lathes, 1 unimat 3 mill, tooling and a sherline 4000 lathe. some folks will think I am crazy but it was a straight trade for my emcomat 8.6 with 3 jaw chuck, er25 collets, jacobs mt2 tailstock chuck, some indexable carbide bits and other miscellany.

i want to work small and have no big jobs in mind. i want to make my own landing gear for my giant scale ercoupe plansand short kit, as well as other hobby type machining formodels and scale engines. i know some wil say i could do all that and more on the larger lathe but looking over the costs to tool up to make very small parts did not impress me. i may get a larger lathe someday but i feel that these will be great to learn manual machining and cheap to convert to cnc should I choose.

looking forward to learning and sharing with all of you. I live outside Guthrie, Oklahoma.

well, it is late and I need to getto bed, work starts early tomorrow.

kevin

I make parts for my RC helicopters but I am really amazed at some of the fine detailed work shown here. Ray

just wanted to introduce myself. my name is Kevin and i just traded for 2 emco unimat 3 lathes, 1 unimat 3 mill, tooling and a sherline 4000 lathe. some folks will think I am crazy but it was a straight trade for my emcomat 8.6 with 3 jaw chuck, er25 collets, jacobs mt2 tailstock chuck, some indexable carbide bits and other miscellany.

i want to work small and have no big jobs in mind. i want to make my own landing gear for my giant scale ercoupe plansand short kit, as well as other hobby type machining formodels and scale engines. i know some wil say i could do all that and more on the larger lathe but looking over the costs to tool up to make very small parts did not impress me. i may get a larger lathe someday but i feel that these will be great to learn manual machining and cheap to convert to cnc should I choose.

looking forward to learning and sharing with all of you. I live outside Guthrie, Oklahoma.

well, it is late and I need to getto bed, work starts early tomorrow.

kevin

Hi Kevin,

I think you made a good deal. Anyone knows that big machines take up big space. When you think about giving yourself some clearance around the machine it's even far more space than we originally imagined. There are few occasions when I need really big stuff. However, even small jobs require space. I've made small parts with 22 inch radius. Just because the part is small it may still need a large table to find the center. All said and done I think you will get more use out of your latest trade.

Ray
(Morgan Hill, Ca.)

thank you for the greetings! it is funny, i would go out and look at the large lathe and wonder what to do, with these smaller lathes and mills, all kinds of neat projects come to mind. i think it will be some time before I create anything noteworthy, what I will likely do is ask all manner of questions.

my background, my father is a retired journeyman pipeline welder and I worked as his apprentice for several years until the bottom fell out in the early eighties. I tried several careers since and have been in the computer field full time since 95. I find that my old skills are remembered but my hands are slower than my mind to recall and perform with grace.

Back