Let's Talk About Wear On Our Bridgeport Milling Machines

I have often thought of moving the vise to one side or the other but visually I could never sleep.
A bit OCD.

With the vise on one side I have room for the RT or tilting angle vise on the other side, I’m trying to wear the ends the same as middle, another 40 yrs just like new,:geek:

I have a couple suggestions if you are short of money. First checking the size of the shim is easy. Take out the gib and clean it and run a wire into the gap the gib was in and wrap the wire around a rag and pull it trough there with some solvent on it to clean out the hole if it is dirty. Then whit is clean stone or smooth cut file the ends of the gibs and slide the gib in so the slot that the gib screw fits in and with the bigger round flange is about 1/2 way into the. Then take a feeler gage and check what the opening is.

Depending on how much the gap is, you could shim the back side of epoxy on some Rulon 142 to the gib or on the back side of the saddle. Rulon is self lubricating plus it compresses a little, so it will compress on the tight ends and turn easier Your table is bent too, convex probably .005 to .010". The convex of the table can also make the ends get tight plus wear. I have some orders I need to get out. I'll come back later. Rich

Richard/Mr. King.
It's not a matter of "short on money", it's a matter of justifying the expense.
I would really need to cherish my old Bridgeport to have it professionally scraped in. Freight and scraping the table, saddle and knee would have to run in excess of $5,000 right?

If your only having an issue with the table you could get it ground . I just did a 3 classes in the bay area and was told there is a grinding company in near by that grinds tables. Also there is a grind shop about 1/2 way between SF and LA. That one is schaffergrinding.com

I will have to email the students about the name of the other place. You could send them the Saddle and Table and if your Machine is not chrome plated I think I could talk - write through it . Fitting it. Plus Member Benchee (John York) is a good scraper and lives near Napa. He has all the scraping tool you would need. He could show you how. There is always a way to skin a cat, just have to have the guts and an open mind.

Another one in CA http://www.qualitygrinding.net/

Last edited:
Give you an ideal, take a look at Youtube and search.Will give you an ideal of what is involved having a table done.I had no ideal till watch several Youtubes and scraping.It can get very expensive if this is a hobby

Yes and no. depends on what your going to do. As for Preventative maintenance and small touch up's it can be less the $100.00. If your going to do some hobby work probaly cost you $1000.00 for a plate, tools, supplies, some dvd's, a book or 2.
keep an eye on Ebay and Craigslist to find deals....etc.

Do all the test with your own tools, take a scraping class, should be able to rebuild your own machines if you take it slow and ask question on here and the few of us who know can help you. $4000.00 to more....depending on you buy new. You wi;; also have to spend money if the parts need to be replaced or renewed at so,e pother shop like your table. Most figure you can rebuild for 1/2 to 3/4 the price of new.

Back