Lets Talk Chainsaws

It's interesting, since 2010, all of the pump gas in California is E10. In addition to the chainsaws, I have 2 generators (Honda & Subaru motors) and 5 vehicles ranging in age from 30 years (3 Honda Civics) to 55 years (VW Doublecab). I have not experienced fuel related problems with any of them.

Larger engines seem to run fine on the ethanol infused gasoline. I have a couple tractors and several vehicles that all do well on the ethanol blend. It's the smaller cc engine carbs and fuel lines that have trouble.
One interesting note is that Iowa is the largest producer of corn used for ethanol. However in nearly every town every gas station has at least one pump with non ethanol gasoline. Some stations sell both premium and regular non ethanol gasoline. Given the price difference of about 15 cents per gallon I use the non ethanol variety whenever possible. The increase in mileage more than offsets the additional cost.

I burn at least 4-5 cords per year, cut it all myself. Had McColloch, Poulan, Pioneer, all used, all a PAIN in the .....
Finally, I bought a new Stihl MS 310 about 7 years ago. Holy smokes, what a difference! Hot start, cold start, hot idle, cold idle, IT DOES NOT MATTER, the dang thing just runs! All the power I need. It IS a two-stroke, ok? Ya gotta know what that means, and requires. Loved it so much, I bought their little saw, MS 170, just for limbing. That machine is pure joy. Light and really powerful for what it is. As with any of these, sharp chain is fundamental.
I run the Stihl synthetic 2-stroke oil exclusively, with premium fuel. Never went looking for ethanol free. I run them dry, out of fuel at the end of the season, and have never had a problem the next.

I've used a couple Poulans, the cheapest ones. When one didn't start, I bought another. They are that disposable. It's used on the quad for game quartering and trail work. But for around home I have a Stihl, not the cheapest one, but a step or two up. The Stihl and Husqvarna cheapest ones are in the same class as Poulans, only more expensive. Stihl or Husky is just a Ford /Chevy thing. My brother had a Stihl wear out on him around his place. He had been a park ranger and wondered what gives. The shop asked if he used E10 gas. The ethanol washes the oil from the cylinder walls. Lesson learned.

Back