Lets Talk Chainsaws

I always had two an Echo for one handed or smaller stuff “ easier on the back”
And a stihl for the two handed large stuff .

Something along these lines looks pretty versatile....
image.gif

Sorry, couldn't resist. I did some research on old saws for my nephew once and ran across this. Believe it or not, they actually made some of these!

-frank

I have a Stihl MS 290 Farm Boss with a 20" bar. I cut about 4 cords of firewood each year and it has performed well in both hot and cold weather.

I wouldn't go smaller than a 20" bar for any serious cutting. A 14" bar is great for limbing and trimming brush but IMO not up to serious cutting. While, in theory, you can cut through a log with the diameter up to twice the bar length by approaching from either side, it is a lot more work. When it comes to felling trees, having to work around the trunk to cut through could be downright dangerous.

Something along these lines looks pretty versatile....
image-gif.275022

That's a bow saw. They are realy for clearing brush, like willows. If you've ever tried to do it with a reagular chainsaw bar you know how aggravating it can be.
Seems like it would be so simple to cut down a bunch of little brush, but it will kick your chain off like crazy. The bow saw bar makes the chain really hard to dislodge from it's bar by a little stick.

Don't buy your saw by the length of bar that is on it. Buy engine size....3.5ci in to 4 cu.in. would be my preference for the amount of work your gonna get into.
Then get at least a 24" bar.....28 if your tall.
It's not that your gonna use all that, it's were the tip of the bar is when your holding the saw standing. If the tip is near the ground your good. If you have to hold up awkwardly to keep it off the ground it's to long. This is holding it as you would run it and with your arms extended down and your back straight.
Stihl is my preference. 391 to 461 models (391 is 3.9cu.in. and the 461 is 4.7cu.in.)
Check ebay there are often great deals there as homeowners will buy a saw because a tree fell down and then sell it later.

I have had different brands and Stihl is the best. Right off learn how to sharpen the saw and do it often. 3 seconds hitting dirt can dull the blade.
Try to cleanit well every time after use or stuff can get packed in and cause problems.If you loan it is likely that person will return it dirty.:rolleyes:

I'm going to need chainsaw for the new property. I have about 30 dead trees to take out. Last chainsaw I had was a crappy Poulan. I'm looking for a good quality saw with a 20" bar. Any recommendations?

Over a 45 year period I have cut more the 400 cords of firewood, all hardwood and mostly red oak. The first 35 years, that included felling with trees up to 30" in diameter. This was all done with a 58 cc engine and a 20" bar. The last 10 years, we have had 8' - 10' logs delivered which I cut into 18" lengths for the wood burning furnace. That wood is mostly white oak with a smattering of red oak. That is arguably more cuts than most professional loggers would make.

Thirty trees would be incidental usage, in my opinion, and not require a professional saw. My Stihl has a displacement of 56cc and as long as the chain is sharp and the bar not pinched, has never bogged down. Larger displacement saws weigh more and are more bulky. This is especially important if you are a one saw user and use the saw for limbing as well as felling and buck up firewood. Longer bars are less agile which makes it more difficult to maneuver in tight quarters.

Stihl has an on-line selection guide which can help you decide the right saw for you.
https://www.stihlusa.com/products/product-selector/chain-saws-product-selector/
Here is a comparison chart of all of their chain saw models.
https://www.stihlusa.com/WebContent/CMSFileLibrary/downloads/Chain-Saw-Comparison-Chart.pdf

If you are still undecided you might consider borrowing or renting a saw to see how it works for you.

I've repaired more brands of saws then many can name. Get the Stihl there top shelf. When you get the saw new buy the new oil mix from them. It will double the warranty for the few dollars over the standard 2 cycle oil. I think it's a six pack synthetic Stihl brand oil. If you also want I'd suggest there canned gas oil mix for the times the saw won't be used for several months. It's high octane with special additives to protect the saw . Just my past forty years of repairs is my opinion.

I've had a Husqvarna Rancher 455 going on 10 years. When I first got it I cut about 10 cords a year with it. In the last few years it only gets used to clear down and dead trees. It's been a great saw and more than powerful enough to easily down 30"+ oak trees. The only servicing it's had are a couple new chains, ( I now have enough to round robin them out rather than have to stop to sharpen them) a couple spark plugs and a couple air filters.

It does a good job, but like any saw of that size it's not the lightest. At a little over 13 lbs. you know you've been using it at the end of the day. Here's a link to the specs:
https://www.husqvarna.com/us/products/chainsaws/455-rancher/965030290/

Stihl all the way. I bought a Stihl 038 Magnum 30 years ago when I bought my property, I run a 36" bar so it will reach the ground with me standing up strait, bad back no bending over with weight in my hands. Still starts easy today and now it gets used very little. I do have a old smaller Homelite that I inherited several years back for the one handed work and it's a good saw but it's probably 30-40 years old as well.

Back