Lets Talk Chainsaws

I just bought a Mccullogh minimac at a garage sale. The old guy there insisted that it started and I could bring it back if it didn't. Well, it didn't start. That thing was difficult to take apart. The plug was really dirty, but there was a spark. When I sprayed starting fluid in to the carburetor opening, it started a bit. Normally, this would be encouraging, but I decided to check the Internet. The Internet said that I had a long steep slog ahead, since these things like to gum up and are incredibly difficult to repair. Also, probably not worth it. I brought the saw back and said it wouldn't start. The old guy was not surprised and said he couldn't help me and probably nobody else could either. He did give me back my money, but he didn't want the saw back. He said just throw it in the trash. He told me the saw would start even though he didn't try it and was probably hoping that I wouldn't come back. I really wanted to leave the saw, but he told me to throw it in my own trash. At least I got the money back.

Eventually, I was able to finish the trimming job with a reciprocating saw with a 12" blade. Really hard work.

I told this story to our facilities guy. He said, interesting, he has 3 saws that won't start. He buys one, works for a while, lets it sit, it won't start, takes it in for repair, finds out it costs too much to repair, buys another one and repeats. Somehow, he thinks that these old husks are worth something, and piles them up in the corner. That's good to know. I have to make sure to dispose of mine before it really junks things up. He agreed, gotta go electric. Then, I said, it'll be the same way about cars. This fell a little bit flat, because electric cars can be a little political. Fortunately chainsaws aren't.

Can you light one of these things? ;)

Thanks for all the information. Looks like Stihl is highly recommended. I was also looking at Husqvarna but a lot of the reviews complain about leaking oil and carburetor issues. I tend to take online reviews with a grain of salt but those issues seem to come up a lot.

Good points about weight. There is a Stihl dealer in the town near the property so next time we are there I will check them out.

I was also looking at Husqvarna

Also a very good saw and would be my second choice.
Some of the new stuff has some incredible engineering. And great power per engine size. Things like an extra throttle valve that feeds straight into the transfer ports of the cylinder. No fuel for that valve just air so the carb is tuned to add the additional fuel needed.
All great till you need to work on it. Some are quite difficult to work on.
I'm still waiting for fuel injection on a chainsaw. Stihl talked about it 20 years ago......wait just googled and see stihl has a fuel inj chainsaw. Available to forestry professionals in 2019.
Thought for a second I needed to crawl out from under my rock, but it is brand new so I don't feel to bad just learning of it.
https://www.farmersguide.co.uk/2018...insaw-for-easier-starting-and-better-economy/

Macs are ok as long as they get run periodically. I have one and it's light and easy to handle.
Stihls are what the pros use

I used to have an older Husqvarna 262XP w/20” bar & liked it a lot. Had it for roughly 15yrs & never had a problem with it. Then a few years ago I foolishly lent it to a buddy of mine who, upon returning it a week later, handed me a box of broken/bent parts that somewhat resembled my saw, & said “I’m really sorry man, but I dropped a big maple on it” & left it at that…no compensation, no anything, just “sorry”. Are you freakin’ kidding me??? Gee thanks, I really appreciate it. :mad:

…and people wonder why I don’t like lending stuff out anymore :rolleyes:

Anyways, I couldn’t afford a brand new saw to replace my mangled one, but I eventually found a screaming deal on a very lightly used Stihl MS 261 C-M w/18“ bar https://www.stihlusa.com/products/chain-saws/professional-saws/ms261cm/

I’ve only had it for a few years now, but as much as I liked my Husky, I like the Stihl even more. A little smaller motor mind you (50cc vs. 62cc for the Husky) but to be honest, I really can’t notice much of a difference power-wise…it easily eats through anything I’ve put in front of it (maple, oak, beech, ironwood, etc). The Stihl is about 3lbs lighter too, which you will appreciate by the end of the day.

Honestly, I would have no reservations about owning another Husqvarna, but if I had a choice & could only pick one, I would pick the Stihl myself.

Stihl only.

Buy the synthetic oil at same time and size to match gas can so easy mix.

It has stabilizer so shelf life is long.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Don't buy more bar than you absolutely need; it will just cost more, weigh more, require a larger engine and take longer to sharpen.
Stihl or Husky. Stihl's professional models have an even 2nd digit in their model number.

I just bought a Mccullogh minimac at a garage sale. The old guy there insisted that it started and I could bring it back if it didn't. Well, it didn't start. That thing was difficult to take apart. The plug was really dirty, but there was a spark. When I sprayed starting fluid in to the carburetor opening, it started a bit. Normally, this would be encouraging, but I decided to check the Internet. The Internet said that I had a long steep slog ahead, since these things like to gum up and are incredibly difficult to repair. Also, probably not worth it. I brought the saw back and said it wouldn't start. The old guy was not surprised and said he couldn't help me and probably nobody else could either. He did give me back my money, but he didn't want the saw back. He said just throw it in the trash. He told me the saw would start even though he didn't try it and was probably hoping that I wouldn't come back. I really wanted to leave the saw, but he told me to throw it in my own trash. At least I got the money back.

Eventually, I was able to finish the trimming job with a reciprocating saw with a 12" blade. Really hard work.

I told this story to our facilities guy. He said, interesting, he has 3 saws that won't start. He buys one, works for a while, lets it sit, it won't start, takes it in for repair, finds out it costs too much to repair, buys another one and repeats. Somehow, he thinks that these old husks are worth something, and piles them up in the corner. That's good to know. I have to make sure to dispose of mine before it really junks things up. He agreed, gotta go electric. Then, I said, it'll be the same way about cars. This fell a little bit flat, because electric cars can be a little political. Fortunately chainsaws aren't.

Can you light one of these things? ;)
One cause for hard starting/poor running of chainsaw and other two cycle engines, for that matter, is a failed reed valve. Those reeds vibrate millions of times in their life and can stress crack causing pushing of the induced fuel/air charge back through the carburetor.

I think that it is just gummed up. Since I have cut down our largest trunk, I don't need the saw anymore. If I fixed it, it would just sit. Of course, I could lend it to a buddy, as mentioned above.

Most people buy a saw use it a few hours and stick it on a shelf. 99% of the time the old gas is left in the saw. If your lucky in three to six months adding fresh gas and a few dozen pulls it may start but run rough . The gas and oil separate because the gas dissipates and turns sour leaving shale and gummy fuel lines and diaphragm in the carb. If the saw is taken care of with a few minutes of time most problems can be alleviated. If your storing the saw for more then six months don't ever leave gas in it . It's better to run dry , add some oil mix straight in the tank and cylinder pull it over a few times and then shelf it. The oil mix will keep the diaphragm and lines from turning hard or the lines mushy .

Back