Leveling a benchtop lathe 10x30

Thanks for all the thoughtful helpful replies!

I am starting to get a feel for what the tools and measuring devices are all about.

I have added 3 cross ribs to my bench and made it way more stable. The lathe is much more square/level now, the bubble on my carpenters level is at least between the lines of center.

I ordered up an inexpensive dial indicator with magnetic stand, some blue marking fluid, a machinist ruler 6" to start. I am looking for a nice used 0-1" micrometer. Currently considering a Mitutoyo 103-127 0-1" with box and tool, any suggestions on this tool?

I do like the quality of the older tools like the B&S and other USA, Swiss and Japan made tools.

I hope to be turning something soon, my measuring tools should be in by Friday.

Last edited:
Mitutoyo is obviously a good brand, so is starrett, if you can get a good buy on those you will have a nice tool. You say your carpenters level is bubble is between the Mark's which is nice, but if you got a hold of even a cheaper machinist level I think you will see a differnce.

Picked up 3 micrometers, a craftsman, slocomb, and a mitutoyo. Got them used no tools or box's with them , but couldn't resist at 25$ for all 3 Hopefully they work

Back