LEVELING FEET for my new g4003g ? where you get them..........ATT coolidge

That is a pretty narrow footprint.... I can't see it being a very stable platform for any machine, especially with a sheet metal cabinet.

The mill posted above with the leveling pads mounted to a bar extending out past the base of the machine is the way to go.

Also, An old timer tool and die maker told me never to waste money on leveling pads. Cut some square pieces out of shingles and put a few layers under a plate. Cheap and effective. It works very well.

That is flat out asking for a trip to the hosiptal or morgue. One grab of the tool and all the torque is going to want to tip that right at you. Once over center you will be crushed, maybe not all of you, but some of you. :think1:
At least anchor it to the wall somehow.

As others have said, you can by really good adjustable feet for the lathe.
When I got my G0750 (same stand as the 4003) I used the holes in bases to mount adjustable feet that I made.
They worked well to get the lathe level and cutting very well.
The issue is what was identified above. The stands are unstable with the very small footprint.
I was not comfortable tying the machine to the wall so a built some modifications for the base.
On the outside of the two stands I used 3X3 angle that had three bushings threaded for 5/8 fine thread threaded rod.
The rods were turned to 60 degrees on the one end and a hex milled on the other. They each have a lock nut above the bushing.
The 60 end fits into a 1-1/2 diameter 3/8 thick disk of steel that has a centre drilled into each.
Each of the steel disks sits on a hockey puck.
The angle pieces are 28 inches and run from the front of the stand to the rear.
As a result, all of the tippyness of the initial stands has disappeared.
Jim

IMG_0001.JPGIMG_0002.JPGIMG_0003.JPGIMG_0004.JPGIMG_0005.JPG

IMG_0001.JPG IMG_0002.JPG IMG_0003.JPG IMG_0004.JPG IMG_0005.JPG

Only thing I put rubber feet on is a machine that vibrates to where I don't want it going into the floor - like an air compressor. Some of the larger industrial machines I have use threaded rod directly into the floor like a spike, thats the way they came. You get them off the ground to where the spikes are the only thing touching the floor, and you can sometimes feel the machine get more solid. Take a look at the feet on this overgrown drill press, its 4 bolts holding it about 1/8" off the ground, the bottom of the machine is threaded for the bolts, and they use a nut to lock in place.
20140320_150420_zps0ab1aef0.jpg

20140320_150420_zps0ab1aef0.jpg

As others have said, you can by really good adjustable feet for the lathe.
When I got my G0750 (same stand as the 4003) I used the holes in bases to mount adjustable feet that I made.
They worked well to get the lathe level and cutting very well.
The issue is what was identified above. The stands are unstable with the very small footprint.
I was not comfortable tying the machine to the wall so a built some modifications for the base.
On the outside of the two stands I used 3X3 angle that had three bushings threaded for 5/8 fine thread threaded rod.
The rods were turned to 60 degrees on the one end and a hex milled on the other. They each have a lock nut above the bushing.
The 60 end fits into a 1-1/2 diameter 3/8 thick disk of steel that has a centre drilled into each.
Each of the steel disks sits on a hockey puck.
The angle pieces are 28 inches and run from the front of the stand to the rear.
As a result, all of the tippyness of the initial stands has disappeared.
Jim

That's a great job Jim. I may give that a shot. IF it ever SLOWS DOWN around here!

Dale

Gorlosky these lathes are tippy towards the rear not the front, that said we gave it a good thrashing while still strapped to my front end loader and its fairly stable. But as I said the leveling pads are being removed. I plan to build a new stand for the lathe but this thread has me thinking I may as well go ahead and remove those leveling pads this weekend.

Back