[Metrology] Leveling Input From An Austinite - Joe Pi

Bamban

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Hello Nez,

There is not much to it. I actually did a video on this topic.

From the picture, it appears you have a machinists level. Thats a good place to start.

Get the bed to a condition where the travel of the carriage reads the same at the head stock and all the way out by the tail stock. Now you can trust the bed.

Next is the head. You'll need a bar that you can trust to be straight. Hold it in the chuck and get it to run concentric at the chuck area and out at the end. Do this unsupported. Do Not use the tail stock!!!!!

With the machine off, tram the top of the bar to get it level. Use the leveling screws on the far left of the machine to do this.

Double check against the front of the bar too. This will let you know if the machine is actually assembled true.

Once you are confident the machine is straight, you can start with a bar between centers to check the tailstock alignment. you can also mount an indicator in a collet or chuck and actually tram the ID of the tailstock to check alignment.

I hope this helps. Ask all the questions you need to. Not a problem.

Nice machine by the way. When this health scare settles down, I'd like to see it. I live just off 620 3 miles east of 183. My son lives over by you.

Take care, stay healthy.

Joe Pieczynski

Back