Leveling plates needed for lathe

Creativechipper

Registered
Registered
So I need some leveling plates for my new lathe.

I think I may need a little help with this project as I don't have a drill press or threading taps.

But I am willing to try if you think you can walk me through it?

I have a 10x30" Weiss 250f lathe on a bench top and need some adjustment.

I was thinking 2 steel plates on each end of the lathe. 1 to sit against bottom of the lathe and one to bolt down on chip tray with adjustable corner bolts to apply pressure to the bottom plate against the lathe.

The tailstock foot is 5 1/4" wide and 6" long with a 16mm hole aprox 2.5" from front edge to center of hole of foot and 1" 3/16ths from rear edge of foot to edge of the hole.

I am thinking the top plate 1/4" steel having a single hole non threaded to match the foot of the lathe. I could put a washer on bottom of steel plate with a nut to hold and act as sandwich to bottom of lathe foot. The bottom plate 1/2" steel having a matching hole, 2 mounting holes non threaded to attach to the benchtop/chip tray, plus 8 holes threaded 3 on each side for adjusting/leveling 1/2x20 1"length grade 8 hardware fine threads.

The head stock foot is 5 1/4" wide by 6 1/2" long with 2, 16mm holes through the foot 120mm apart center hole to center hole, about 2 5/8" from the front side of foot and 3/4" from end of foot closest to tail stock. Same as other except 2 holes for the lathe foot and the 1/2" longer dimension.

This is just what I came up with after looking at https://www.hobby-machinist.com/thr...m-using-shop-made-levelers.72014/#post-604268
and measuring my own lathe.

Let me know what you think, thanks

IMG_3963.JPG

IMG_3964.JPG

IMG_3965.JPG

IMG_3966.JPG

For such an energetic forum, I'm surprised scanning through the "Can You Make Something For Me?" yours got a lot of views and no help. Was another route found, still waiting, or gave up?
No matter which of those, I certainly able to help you. PM here or email direct. windischfred1@hotmail.com

Toolmaker51 thanks for noticing!!

I have given up on those for now, just using the lathe the way it came. I dont do anything real precise yet.

I just got a small drill press and angle grinder so I have a little more capacity to work metals. Working a hack saw and files is not a fun way to shape steel.

Any suggestions or ideas on a simple set up welcome!!

If you want simple then a plate on each end with holes drilled in the center (no tapping or threading needed, just a drill, handheld is fine) to bolt the lathe to then holes at each corner to accept a bolt with 3 nuts to adjust the level.

Back