Liang Dei Ld 1216gh, Picked It Up Yesterday

Interestingly Ken, when you consider that the English invented the lathe and the whole industrial revolution thing, perhaps their design is the correct one.Then the Americans came along and decided to change everything, like driving on the wrong side of the road, refusing to use currency based on the British pound even changing the weights and measures. Now the whole world has gone metric and left you behind, Just kidding.

Yeah, I think the oilfield is the last place in America where Metrication is slowly taking over. Everything I have worked on in the past 10 years has dual dimensioning so the Chinese can make things to. Well to find out, it doesn't manner to them, they do it their own way anyways. In fact, on some of my visits to China, you will be surprised how much of the old Imperial system they are interested in. Cups, teaspoons, some use of fractions, believe it or not.

View attachment 134730

Well it has finally arrived. 2 1/2 months ago I ordered a new lathe. A Liang Dei LD 1216GH, Picked it up yesterday (Fri) morning and installed it in my garage. I'm now a very happy chappy. I've still got a bit of work cleaning it up, all the grease they put on before shipping. The lathe comes from Taiwan, and is very well spec'd, I hope it lives up to the spec's, if it does it will be a beauty, Gave it a short test run nice and quiet, all the gears change smoothly and easily.

While unpacking and cleaning grease off everywhere, I have discovered that I can't lift the 4 jaw chuck even the fixed steady is a bit of a task, and I guess my back isn't going to ever get any better, so the first project is going to have to be a lifting device. I'm thinking in terms of a small jib crane that fits on the tool post mounting. If it will lift 50kg that will be more than enough.

Bob,
If you got/made a small jib crane and mounted it on a wall so that it swung out over your lathe that might be more convenient. Or an engine hoist on wheels. Dont forget that some workpieces in the future might be heavier than what you want to lift.

Cheers Phil

Bob, get an engine hoist. I never had one until a few months ago and I realize now that I should'a bought one a looong time ago.

A Taiwanese lathe with the carriage handwheel on the right hand side of the carriage? I thought the English were the only one's that did that.
Not really, many lathes with gaps have the hand wheel on the right as the rack gear under the ways ends at the gap, moving the gear train to the right allows the carriage to move to the spindle.

Not really, many lathes with gaps have the hand wheel on the right as the rack gear under the ways ends at the gap, moving the gear train to the right allows the carriage to move to the spindle.
True in some cases but not in all. In fact, the one in this thread does not have a removable gap to the bed.
I know they are very handy for threading such as on the English brand DS&G Dean, Smith & Grace lathes. They made a hollow spindle lathe that is pretty popular in oilfield shops over the years, many people like them for the handwheel being on the right hand side of the apron for fast threading chasing threads on drill pipe.
Me after almost 50 years of running lathes with the handwheel on the left side of the apron, I don't think I could ever get use to running one with the handwheel on the right.:eek:

@bobshobby
Congratulations on the new equipment!
It looks like a very nice machine.
-brino

I just checked the Specs:

http://www.liang-dei.com/LD1224.html

It's an interesting little machine. A spindle bore of 40mm is quite impressive. I was wondering why the top speed wasn't higher than 1500rpm until I saw the weight of the thing. I thought it would be heavier given the list of features. Very well specc'd.

Paul.

I just checked the Specs:

http://www.liang-dei.com/LD1224.html

It's an interesting little machine. A spindle bore of 40mm is quite impressive. I was wondering why the top speed wasn't higher than 1500rpm until I saw the weight of the thing. I thought it would be heavier given the list of features. Very well specc'd.

Paul.

Thank you Paul,

It was about the best I could find available here in Australia. I was very limited in size especially the length. 300mm longer and it wouldn't fit.

But I like the 40mm bore, the geared headstock and full norton box for a full range of imperial and metric threads. imperial leadscrew, plus power cross feed., All hand-wheels have imperial and metric calibrated rings. What is not to like?

I wouldn't have minded if it was a bit heavier but its fairly solid, and it's only a hobby machine not for production work.

True in some cases but not in all. In fact, the one in this thread does not have a removable gap to the bed.
I know they are very handy for threading such as on the English brand DS&G Dean, Smith & Grace lathes. They made a hollow spindle lathe that is pretty popular in oilfield shops over the years, many people like them for the handwheel being on the right hand side of the apron for fast threading chasing threads on drill pipe.
Me after almost 50 years of running lathes with the handwheel on the left side of the apron, I don't think I could ever get use to running one with the handwheel on the right.:eek:

That's basically my problem I trained on lathes with right hand wheels, and whenever I had to us one with left hand wheel I always found it awkward.

Back