Lies we tell ourselves in the shop

Placing parts in order of disassembly is quite helpful when it is time for reassembly . Sometimes I resort to taking a few photographs
especially if the project involves disconnecting wiring.

Placing parts in order of disassembly is quite helpful when it is time for reassembly . Sometimes I resort to taking a few photographs
especially if the project involves disconnecting wiring.

Many, MANY years ago, I was learning Model 28 Teletype repair on the job. The guy that was teaching me was good and I was picking it up pretty well. I took a page printer apart for quarterly maintenance and laid all the parts and subassemblies out on the bench like an exploded diagram.

"Good job," Larry sez and handed me some quarters. "Here, go get us a soda and you can put it back together after we take a break."

I ran up to the soda machine and when I came back Larry was standing there with a s**t-eating grin on his face, shaking a burn bag full of teletype parts.

Took me 4 or 5 watches to put that thing back together, but I did it and it worked perfectly. I learned more about teletypes in that 4-5 days then I did the whole 4 or 5 weeks preceding. I bet I could still do it and I haven't touched a TTY in 40 years.

Many, MANY years ago, I was learning Model 28 Teletype repair on the job. The guy that was teaching me was good and I was picking it up pretty well. I took a page printer apart for quarterly maintenance and laid all the parts and subassemblies out on the bench like an exploded diagram.

"Good job," Larry sez and handed me some quarters. "Here, go get us a soda and you can put it back together after we take a break."

I ran up to the soda machine and when I came back Larry was standing there with a s**t-eating grin on his face, shaking a burn bag full of teletype parts.

Took me 4 or 5 watches to put that thing back together, but I did it and it worked perfectly. I learned more about teletypes in that 4-5 days then I did the whole 4 or 5 weeks preceding. I bet I could still do it and I haven't touched a TTY in 40 years.
Your post reminded me that I have a teletype terminal sitting in my upper barn. It's been there for forty years and I had forgotten it was there. If you ever feel an overwhelming urge to tear one down and reassemble it .....

Reminded me of the Denzel Washington / Robert DeNiro movie about the navy divers, and the underwater test

Back