Life changes ......

I was at a similar point in life about 10 years ago. Doctors kept mentioning the MS and possibly ALS words. Symptoms were close, but tests were not quite, Ect, ect. So we decided to pull the plug, and move from Pa, to Co. Had to sell/ giveaway/ dump lots of stuff, including many power tools. Looking back, I wish I had done many things different. But it is what it is. I try not to look back.

If Snow and weather is your only reason you are thinking Florida, I would suggest talking to some of the members from AZ, TX, even CO. The lack of humidity makes a ton of difference. I can take the 100 degrees here, with little humidity, but 80 degs and 90% humidity back in Pa, kept us shuttered up inside with the AC going balls to the walls. Even the cold here without the humidity is tolerable. And I have not touched a snow shovel since PA. IIRC, our total rainfall (including the few dustings of snow we get), is less then 6" a year.

I never spent much time in AZ, but I would imagine it is about the same, just no snow at all. I have been to Fla several times, to visit family there, and it is worse then Pa in the summer. hotter, and still humid.

You are at a point in life, where you have tons of options, explore many before pulling the plug on one.

I don't know how prices compare, but I have seen several kool scooters that will get in small places, and some that will raise you to the equivalent of a standing person. I can still get around decently with crutches and a walker, But I think I really need to get to rearranging my shop to accommodate a scooter, With the theory that if I do it, I will never have the need for it.

Mark,

Congratulations on the decision. Always tough to accept where we are at as we all age. There's stuff I used to be able to do that after 3 hernia surgeries in the past 3 years have finally realized I'm not 30 anymore. Not a question of character or "manliness", just the simple fact that in the bathtub curve of life, a lot of us are hitting the wear out point. If you can't accept that fact, you potentially set yourself up for accidents pretending you can still lift more than you should, then spend months waiting to heal.

Good luck on the Craig's List sale! Hope you get your asking price and pick up some really nice smaller equipment.

Best regards, Bruce

I was at a similar point in life about 10 years ago. Doctors kept mentioning the MS and possibly ALS words. Symptoms were close, but tests were not quite, Ect, ect. So we decided to pull the plug, and move from Pa, to Co. Had to sell/ giveaway/ dump lots of stuff, including many power tools. Looking back, I wish I had done many things different. But it is what it is. I try not to look back.

If Snow and weather is your only reason you are thinking Florida, I would suggest talking to some of the members from AZ, TX, even CO. The lack of humidity makes a ton of difference. I can take the 100 degrees here, with little humidity, but 80 degs and 90% humidity back in Pa, kept us shuttered up inside with the AC going balls to the walls. Even the cold here without the humidity is tolerable. And I have not touched a snow shovel since PA. IIRC, our total rainfall (including the few dustings of snow we get), is less then 6" a year.

I never spent much time in AZ, but I would imagine it is about the same, just no snow at all. I have been to Fla several times, to visit family there, and it is worse then Pa in the summer. hotter, and still humid.

You are at a point in life, where you have tons of options, explore many before pulling the plug on one.

I don't know how prices compare, but I have seen several kool scooters that will get in small places, and some that will raise you to the equivalent of a standing person. I can still get around decently with crutches and a walker, But I think I really need to get to rearranging my shop to accommodate a scooter, With the theory that if I do it, I will never have the need for it.

I lived in Texas for 17 years and often wish I never left, but that is past. A lot of folks don't realize I have been thinking and planning for years about this time in life. It still hurts when it does get here though. I have known about all these problems coming for over 15 years. It started the worst 11 years ago with a pacemaker and then the first heart attack and open heart surgery. It has been downhill and picking up speed since. I was born with Marfan's syndrome ( just found that out a few years ago), I have to have a pacemaker to keep my heart beating, 3 heart attacks, two strokes, open heart surgery, rheumatoid arthritis, some stupid condition that causes uncontrollable tremors, peripheral artery disease, and an aortic aneurysm that threatens my life every day. They said I was lucky and on borrowed time 11 years ago. God is keeping me around because I still have a few things to do (and I know what they are). I have been planning for this day for years but somehow I failed to plan for the machine shop. It t is best to downsize anyway. I believe it to be dangerous running larger machines alone while in a wheelchair and with such limited mobility. I would have liked a few more years at it but I have no regrets and have had the time of my life doing everything I wanted for the last 40 years. Like I said, I had a full and colorful life and believe me, I colored outside the lines most of the time. It is time for change and a slower pace ( I'm still going to color outside the lines when I can). Everything is just stuff. It comes and goes. Better to have had, enjoyed,and lost than to have never had at all. It's the memories and experiences that are important. I will make new and more experiences as I keep going. I have no big regrets. I am enjoying my time on this rock and when my playtime is over, I will join all those that went before me. What more can anyone ask for, so hang on and watch me go. I ain't done yet!

It's not bad here in SE AZ my friend. Lots of retired types around. :)

Getting into the hot part of the year soon (June) then the rainy season starts and we typically see high 80s to low 90s. But the humidity is a bear, typically around 25-30 percent! ;)

I get some snow around here, but it's up on the nearby mountains.

Take care Sir.

This is my final post here on this forum. I am leaving for good. I have too much to deal with right now and there is too much opposition to me selling my shop I can no longer use to buy smaller machines. I cannot get into the shop anymore, so, I am going to delete the ad for the shop as soon as i get home tomorrow, close it for good and let it rot in rust. I am going to concentrate on my health the rest of this year. I want to thank all my freinds here who have supported me.

Best of luck my friend. I'll be thinking about you a lot. I have enjoyed every one of your posts, and glad you have taken the time to share. You have inspired me to take more time in my projects, and think about the end look, along with the functionality.

I hope it was not over anything I posted. I was just trying to give you some other things to think about before you get committed. I know I made many decisions where I wish I had explored more avenues first. I have crossed many bridges I wish I had not burned.

Again, I wish you the best of luck.

Last edited:
Sorrow to see you go my friend. You've been an inspiration to me since I've met you on this site and wanted to better my mmachining skills since then because of you. So good luck with your life ahead and may God truly bless you if He hasn't already. Will miss your projects.

Michael

Best of luck my friend. I'll be thinking about you a lot. I have enjoyed every one of your posts, and glad you have taken the time to share. You have inspired me to take more time in my projects, and think about the end look, along with the functionality.

I hope it was not over anything I posted. I was just trying to give you some other things to think about before you get committed. I know I made many decisions where I wish I had explored more avenues first. I have crossed many bridges I wish I had not burned.

Again, I wish you the best of luck.

No, you did nothing wrong.

I'm sorry to hear about this update Mark but I'm glad you have a good attitude. That's really the most important thing. (I just replied to an older post which I gave other advice. After hearing this, I'm guessing you can ignore that. )

In any case, I do appreciate your earlier posts and projects. They were a major force in getting me into this hobby. I loved your detailed craftsmanship. First class all the way. Keep up the good attitude and thanks again.

Back