Lifting heavy chucks is beyond me

Here you go Mal. I was in the shop and took a couple of pics. The hook is and easy build. About 3/4” round bar for clamping in the jaws and 1/2”x1/2” square coming off at 30 degrees....welded and bent. Here’s a couple of pics. I can turn the chuck either way once it’s supported by a hook of the come-along or winch. Going from horizontal to vertical...It’s easy.

just make sure the jaws are tight before you flip it...because when removing a jaw from the lathe, the jaws don’t have to be super tight. But when flipped.... Jaws better be tight or it’s going fall out of hook.

Attachments

• 91B1F85A-1EBF-4321-B148-B590998936B9.jpeg
    91B1F85A-1EBF-4321-B148-B590998936B9.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 71
  • A6A8AEA2-334D-48AA-BFFA-EE74AFAF7B9C.jpeg
    A6A8AEA2-334D-48AA-BFFA-EE74AFAF7B9C.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 70
  • 15890357-1E4C-4401-8E7C-F42C54914AB2.jpeg
    15890357-1E4C-4401-8E7C-F42C54914AB2.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 60
Here you go Mal. I was in the shop and took a couple of pics. The hook is and easy build. About 3/4” round bar for clamping in the jaws and 1/2”x1/2” square coming off at 30 degrees....welded and bent. Here’s a couple of pics. I can turn the chuck either way once it’s supported by a hook of the come-along or winch. Going from horizontal to vertical...It’s easy.

just make sure the jaws are tight before you flip it...because when removing a jaw from the lathe, the jaws don’t have to be super tight. But when flipped.... Jaws better be tight or it’s going fall out of hook.
I welded a shaft collar on the end of the ones I made so there is no possibility of the chuck falling off. The downside of the way I did it is that the jaws need to be moved more to clear but another upside is that they can be a little loose to facilitate indexing to the pins or threading on a spindle.

Thank you for the photos. I apologize about the delay in my reply, I have been away for nearly two weeks so couldnt reply.

I am so think. Once I saw the photos the solution is obvious.

Thank you for taking the trouble to take the photos for me.

Regards

Mal

Thank you for the photos. I apologize about the delay in my reply, I have been away for nearly two weeks so couldnt reply.

I am so think. Once I saw the photos the solution is obvious.

Thank you for taking the trouble to take the photos for me.

Regards

Mal
No Mal... you’re just a visual guy. Me too. That’s why I posted the pics because I kind of realized I just wasn’t explaining it fully. Anyway....when flipping it, I make sure to really tighten jars first.

and...I just finished writing the below idea..... and then I read Ricks reply. It’s eerie... because either I’m getting dementia because I read Ricks post and forgot or it’s and esp thing. Anyway here’s what I just posted....its exactly what Rick posted.

An improved version may be to put a little thin collar at the end of the round part. But then the round part would probably have to be longer... To make sure it ends up fitting deeper into the chuck so the jaws clamp on the narrower round part and the collar prevents it slipping off when doing the flip.

Last edited:
No Mal... you’re just a visual guy. Me too. That’s why I posted the pics because I kind of realized I just wasn’t explaining it fully. Anyway....when flipping it, I make sure to really tighten jars first.

and...I just finished writing the below idea..... and then I read Ricks reply. It’s eerie... because either I’m getting dementia because I read Ricks post and forgot or it’s and esp thing. Anyway here’s what I just posted....its exactly what Rick posted.

An improved version may be to put a little thin collar at the end of the round part. But then the round part would probably have to be longer... To make sure it ends up fitting deeper into the chuck so the jaws clamp on the narrower round part and the collar prevents it slipping off when doing the flip.

You are right about the vertical lift. I did weld a collar at the bottom of my lifting eye for security.

Your idea of being able to then lift the chuck ready for alignment with the spindle is on my to do list.
The real challenge for me is not spending my whole time improving my workspace while neglecting the projects which the workspace was set up to do.
Not to forget the little jobs that come in from family and friends which soak up too much valuable time.

Thanks again for the photos, much appreciated.

Mal

Attachments

• MAL_0942.jpg
    MAL_0942.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 45

Finally got around to improving my lifting process. Thank you for the idea, it works like a treat. Might end up putting an additional lifting point at the end as well.

Thank you for your idea.

Mal

MAL_1226.jpg

I like my Sky Hook really well & the people who sell them are very professional & expedient.

It’s like night and day. Considering most of the stuff getting lifted 90% of the time is less than 125 lbs, it’s not worth over thinking a design to lift 2000lbs. If I need to lift the top of my mill... I’ll cross that bridge when the time comes. But for lathe chucks, Unistrut is awesome in my opinion. Quick and easy to get set up.

I like your hook too. It’s a simple design which will balance every chuck in the toolbox.

It’s like night and day. Considering most of the stuff getting lifted 90% of the time is less than 125 lbs, it’s not worth over thinking a design to lift 2000lbs. If I need to lift the top of my mill... I’ll cross that bridge when the time comes. But for lathe chucks, Unistrut is awesome in my opinion. Quick and easy to get set up.

I like your hook too. It’s a simple design which will balance every chuck in the toolbox.
Tim

There may well be super heavy things to lift in the future, but I agree wait until the need arises.

Mal

Built something similar on unistrat with smallest electric hoist I can find.
Mike

Attachments

• 20231108_163500.jpg
    20231108_163500.jpg
    469.4 KB · Views: 27
  • 20231109_092255.jpg
    20231109_092255.jpg
    377.4 KB · Views: 24
  • 20231109_092336.jpg
    20231109_092336.jpg
    410.6 KB · Views: 24
Back