Lifting Heavy Lathe Chucks

erikmannie

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
At what point (i.e. chuck weight) does one need a hoist or chain fall to install a heavy chuck?

I just bought a chuck that weighs 107 lbs. I would not expect to be able to get that on & off without a hoist such as this:

One also wonders what exactly a “Tool Post Base” is. I have a CXA with an Aloris T-nut. I’m sure I would be able to figure that out.

I can’t risk a back injury, & I don’t want to be discouraged from switching out lathe chucks.

What do you guys think? I would guess anything over 75 pounds would be risking an injury.

Last edited:
And a video...

At the 4:00 mark in that video, the operator has a lifting eye bolt in his chuck.

9A17BEF4-DD34-4F8F-ABE8-198683A5A488.jpeg

Last edited:
I got tired of lifting a 25 pound chuck on and off the lathe and rigged a hoist from the ceiling over the lathe.
No more straining in awkward positions. Wonderfull!
There are many creative ways of using rails/tracks overhead (if you have the room) which would be quicker and easier than having to install and remove a skyhook every time.

Last edited:

One also wonders what exactly a “Tool Post Base” is. I have a CXA with an Aloris T-nut. I’m sure I would be able to figure that out.

The stock Skyhook toolpost accessory fits a BXA toolpost, so you would have to fabricate something to make it fit your CXA toolpost. You could bolt the Skyhook to the bed with an adapter. Or fashion something from the small HF pickup truck bed crane. Or find inspiration in the multitude of Youtube videos of homemade creations.

Last edited:
I called Sky Hook Mfr. at (208)365-5770. The PN for CXA is 8500-03, and the PN for the (universal) chuck hook is 8520.

Back