Lifting Heavy Lathe Chucks

I bought a CXA Sky Hook with Chuck Hook.

This morning I used my PM-25MV to drill & counterbore a mount for a damaged CXA tool post that I had on hand. This is where the Sky Hook will spend most of it’s time.

This used to be my stick welding cart, but it is being taken over by lathe chucks.

image.jpg

image.jpg

It’s not very often you see a tool post mounted in a cart. I will be able to use the cart as a hoist if I remove the compressed shielding gas and use a proper counterweight.

My chucks aren't that heavy and they are stored under the machines. In the Enco lathe I have built a platform as high as the cabinet door bottom so I can roll the chucks out onto a HF furniture mover that is rolled under a HF hoist held by ceiling joists that does the lifting. I believe that getting into awkward positions while lifting "heavy" objects can cause problems.
Have a good day
Ray

I say handling vs lifting intentionally.
Bi11 has a very good point. The Skyhook might be ok because it’s arm is short enough to control the work while still operating the lift. That’s one of those things I’d have to experience first hand. The engine hoist is great for lifting but I always feel like I’m in another zip code to the work. It’s why I love the chain hoist for these kinds of close in delicate work. I got offered one of those wheelchair lifts and didn’t take it. Probably should have.

Lifting a heavy object is dangerous, both from a personal safety standpoint and from a damage to equipment standpoint. I would use a lift and maybe a cradle on the ways to help further.
I am sure a number of you have had back surgeries. There is hardly nothing worse than feeling a disk herniate. I have had 3. It is no fun.

Edit: I see Erik bought a lift.

I modified a Harbor Freight truck crane to lift the rotary table and lathe chuck that mounts to the rotary table on my modified Bridgeport milling machine, works great. Maybe I should modify one for the lathe for chuck changes.

I watched the videos, but I’d never mount that and the chuck weight to my tool post, under any circumstances, the last thing I need is a broken carriage or compound on my lathe. Maybe I’m just a frady-cat.

If your needs are more then just a chuck, but heavy work, a Jib crane might work.

My solution for the 12 inch Bison chucks was a bridge crane. It also is handy putting the 12" rotary table on the mill.
My shop is 32 feet by 8 feet, so the bridge is across the 8 foot.
bridge crane.jpg
I have a chain fall, but there's an electric hoist that is used for the chucks. The I'beams are 6x8.2 if I recall. This allowed 8 foot spans, and 8 foot pieces I could lift into place off a ladder.

My chucks are too heavy to lift at my advanced age. I have a jib crane for my pickup. I made a socket for the jib next to my lathe. Here is the crane I have:
I have a sky lift. Getting it on and off the toolpost each time I needed to change a chuck is nearly as much work as changing a chuck by hand. I only use the sky hook on my mill. I rarely need it

Here's a similar thread.....same title. Lifting heavy chucks. Seems as none of us are getting younger...this is a recurring subject. Anyway...Just thought I'd mention the Unistrut. Couple of postings about the Uni-Strut cranes. I have one and its a low cost option and a life-saver. It was one of the first installations of my shop build. I have a real bad back plus Zero balance since I have foot drop on both feet. Lifting chucks is a non-starter.

Back