Lighting a gas fireplace - Whoosh

Janderso

Jeff Anderson
H-M Platinum Supporter
Hi all,
My wife had a fireplace service come out today while I was at work, grrr.
They did a thorough job of cleaning it then tried to sell her.
She wants to be able to light it herself.
This fire set needs a match in the right spot or beware.
It’s natural gas.
Is there a kit I can add that has a battery start? Kind of like a bbq.
I appreciate your thoughts.
Jeff

Attachments

• B9423E02-6D7D-4178-8BC5-3246FB5FCCBE.jpeg
    B9423E02-6D7D-4178-8BC5-3246FB5FCCBE.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 20
Contact the builder, I am sure they have a starter for that unit.

The one's I have in the rentals all have pilot lights and thermostats. A wall switch turns them off and on. Controls are just like and older furnace. Almost tenant proof.

I did see a video where there is an electronic valve installed then a thermostat or start switch can be used.
I was hoping to keep it simple like Mr. Whoopee.
The bbq method may be a bit too simple. Hey, I asked :)

Contact the builder, I am sure they have a starter for that unit.
I bet the outfit that charged my wife $125 to clean the unit could install an electronic valve with a switch on the mantle.
I need to keep her happy. Glenda is amazing to me. She puts up with my hobby and the expense!!

I'll have to look at the make of the gas fireplace in our bedroom, but it has a piezo starter like a gas grill and a standing pilot light. The unit has a thermopile (think that's the name) that the pilot hits, indicates if the pilot light is lit or not. The gas valve won't turn on unless the thermopile indicates a good pilot light presumably to avoid a boom.

Bruce

@Janderso If you do not have the manual that came with your unit, then open the front panel and find the Mfg, Model and Serial No and look online for a customer service or parts center. Give them a call and ask if they have a kit that fits your unit to do what you want.

The kits, or their availability, may vary depending on if your gas flow is controlled by an electric or manual valve. If the unit is equipped with a blower, the igniter may tap into that circuit. Just depends on your setup. But with the Model and Serial Number they should be able to tell you exactly what you can do.

The device that Mr. Whoopie showed is great. One of my buddies has one on his propane forge, and it really makes the startup classy. You do have to be careful not to run the gas too long before you ignite it. :burned up:

Back