Lightning/ Thunder

woodchucker

Registered
Registered
Just had a bolt of lightning, then 40 seconds of Thunder... Never heard thunder that just kept going and going.
I looked out to see if there were other lightning bolts, but nothing... just kept going. My wife and dog really took notice too.

it finally stopped only to be started again by another bolt of lightning a few seconds later. I love lightning and thunder, this though sounded like the end of the world. Cool stuff.. mother nature certainly can entertain.. and can unleash her wrath.

well that explains it. Just had a fireworks show... lightning with immediate report. getting pea size hail and some larger.
And the leaves are being stripped from the trees :) .

Cool stuff... fun watching this..

Last time I saw a bolt of lightning, it struck across our rather narrow valley, behind the hills; shortly after, up came a column of smoke, it was named the Henessey fire, and it was genuinely a disaster; this fire and several others in the county burned about half the total acreage in the county, mostly in rural areas in the mountains, but over 2,000 structures were lost, and in the last one, we very nearly lost our place.

Last time I saw a close strike was down in West Virginia . Lightning struck the State Courthouse . Burn't it all the way down to the axels ! :big grin: Just kidding , WV is one of my favorite states . :encourage:

Always wished someday I could see ball lightning, but none so far
Seen bead lightning though
-M

A few years back lightening hit one of the big walnut trees in my back yard. It burned a line right down the tree into a pile of horseshoes we had set there for our next horseshoe game.

My brother made the front page of the paper when he got struck by lightening and survived. He was fortunate that a RN saw him go down and did CPR until the paramedics got there.
I had one close call where my truck was the only vehicle left in an airport parking lot, I was walking across the lot to my truck when all of my hair stood on end. I knew what that meant and beat feet for the truck, I just dove inside when it hit the truck, $2k worth of electronics later and some new shorts, the truck and I were fine again. I also had the chimney blown off the house by lightening many years ago.

Maybe it is not a good idea to be around my family during a storm.

We had a nasty front blow over years ago.

Sun on one side and a line with black clouds on the other.

Constant roar of thunder as cloud to cloud lightening going on.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Speaking of lightning, I ran across this last year. Apparently, lightning struck the power line and traveled down the ground wire. The intensity of the strike started a fire which burned about six feet up the pole/ Presumably, rain put the fire out. I called the power company but the pole is still standing.

When lightning strikes nearby, I always mentally count the number of seconds until I hear the thunder clap. I figure if I can get to five, I'm OK. (Actually, anytime you hear the thunder, you've survived!) Fortunately, we are located along side a 200' hill with trees going up another 50' so we are pretty well within the cone of protection. The nearest strike to me was about 100 yds away where it split a large oak tree from top to bottom.

Lightning Strike 2.JPG

Back