Lil project while im healing

U

umahunter

Forum Guest
Register Today
Well got my mom a new washing machine only problem is the lid hits the cabinets so she asked me can't you drill a hole in the lid and put a string on it lol I'm drilling a hole in a new lid so I got some 2 inch al round and made 4 countersinks on the mill and epoxied in some magnets drilled and tapped the center for a 1/4 × 20 eye bolt and put a lil chain with a hook on the cabinet I had leftover from a shop light works pretty good :)20180311_014535.jpg20180311_014527.jpg20180311_014512.jpg

Yep, that’ll work better than a hole in the lid...lol

Good to see you mobile again! How’s your back doing, btw?

Good idea not to drill into the lid. Moist environment, fresh drilled exposed steel would have invited rust for sure.

I've done some experimenting with epoxying magnets in aluminum for different purposes. One problem is if the magnets are not flush they will lose holding capacity because they are glued further away and cannot contact the metal. So I found if I put in the epoxy and then placed some wax paper over that and stuck it to a metal face with pressure on top the aluminum it let the magnets hold maximum down to the metal and the aluminum meeting same plane. When dry pull off the wax paper and neatly done max holding power. One modification could be to put a small spacer like a couple sheets of paper under the aluminum to let the magnets actually stick out a little so only the magnets contacted the metal could hold better.

I'm chugging along slowly but surely still in a bit of pain but I'm up to walking 4 laps around the block twice a day which is 2 1 / 2 miles :)

Reactions: TTD
Uma Hunter,

Well you are doing a good job on the technical front, That was a good solution for your Moms washing machine, I am logging your idea in my one solitary brain cell , Should I need it for some future project, Keep the healing going as well.

Good idea not to drill into the lid. Moist environment, fresh drilled exposed steel would have invited rust for sure.

I've done some experimenting with epoxying magnets in aluminum for different purposes. One problem is if the magnets are not flush they will lose holding capacity because they are glued further away and cannot contact the metal. So I found if I put in the epoxy and then placed some wax paper over that and stuck it to a metal face with pressure on top the aluminum it let the magnets hold maximum down to the metal and the aluminum meeting same plane. When dry pull off the wax paper and neatly done max holding power. One modification could be to put a small spacer like a couple sheets of paper under the aluminum to let the magnets actually stick out a little so only the magnets contacted the metal could hold better.
Nice tip I basically just put the magnets in and pressed the flush with flat smothered piece of wood in reality when I tested them 3 rare earth magnets was plenty but I decided to put 4 just in case wax paper is s good idea I used 3 magnets on my chuck spider and so far so good but I did countersink those because I wanted the spider to be a certain thickness for a part in make to sit against and be true

Looks like the way it works is the magnet stays put on the lid then she reaches behind and puts the hook on it. If so it might be easier to have the magnet stay on the chain then she lifts the lid and sticks the magnet to the lid. To close pull it off and let it go with the chain. For laundry it will need to open and close multiple times.

If the magnet holds too strong to come on and off easily cover it with a layer of tape. Might want a tape layer to prevent marring the lid.

Back