Lima Motor Rotation how to change

dgehricke

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Greetings,
I have a Burke #4 with Universial table and a Lima Motor 3/4 HP 1200 RPMs it is the original factory gear box motor.
This mill has been sitting in my garage for the last 10years and was never used, Today I started to cut a tool for my Omni tool post
and the motor is running CCW and I switched the wires in the junction box but no luck still runs in the CCW rotation.
The motor is set up for 220 but its a 3 phase motor with a capacitor mounted on the motor so it runs on single phase 220.
Anyone have any ideas as to how I can change the rotation to CW.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.Thanks in advance.

Wally G

When you say you switched the wires, what wires did you switch?

If you switch the wire coming out of the capacitor with one of the legs of 220, the motor should change direction. If you switch the two legs of 220, nothing will change.

-Cody

Greetings,
I have a Burke #4 with Universial table and a Lima Motor 3/4 HP 1200 RPMs it is the original factory gear box motor.
This mill has been sitting in my garage for the last 10years and was never used, Today I started to cut a tool for my Omni tool post
and the motor is running CCW and I switched the wires in the junction box but no luck still runs in the CCW rotation.
The motor is set up for 220 but its a 3 phase motor with a capacitor mounted on the motor so it runs on single phase 220.
Anyone have any ideas as to how I can change the rotation to CW.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.Thanks in advance.

Wally G

Can you post a picture of the motor and one of the label on it? I've never seen a 3 phase motor with a capacitor on it. If the motor is reversible, it should show on the label. We can guide you through the process.

I'll get some photos of it up here today and Thanks for the Help.

Cody,
The wires that I switched were the wires from the motor.
photos coming today

as promised here are some photos of the motor and the junction box on the motor.
I finished the cut with the mill running in the direction and it looks like it is climb milling.

- - - Updated - - -

Well I guess not How do you attach photos again,found it.

IMG_1419.JPG IMG_1420.JPG IMG_1421.JPG IMG_1422.JPG

Which way is the spindle turning when you stand in front of the mill? Clockwise or anti-clockwise? Could a belt be in need of a twist or turn? The reason I ask is because it has performed in it's original configuration, so what has changed? A lot of belts cross over each other and reverse the direction of rotation and some one replaces it with a Napa belt the correct length, but does not put the twist back in when they hook it all back up. Seen that a few times, unlike a serpentine belt on a car it is possible to install a belt incorrectly and create this issue. Before I started rewiring I would look into the matter a lot further because the joint between motor and gear box appears to have never been separated as it would if the motor had been replaced at some point in the distant past. Just thinking out loud, but sometimes the simplest answer is the best.... HTH :')

Bob

Bob,
This is not a belt problem the mill only has 2 belts one goes from the motor to the spindle the other belt is on the rear of the spindle which drives the table through a step pulley set up
and a sliding drive shaft which runs a worm gear for table movement when engaged.
Thanks for the hint though every little bit helps. heres a photo of the belt to the spindle

IMG_1430.JPG

Forgot to add that when standing in the front of the mill the the motor and spindle are turning in anti clockwise (CCW) rotation.

WOW!

A) Sure looks like a single phase motor to me. That black plastic gizmo in the peckerhead is an amperage sensing relay. This item opens the starting circuit when the motor has come up to speed. 3 phase motors do not need/use capacitors.

B) If I could read the nameplate we all would know so much more.

C) Seems it is a horizontal mill. My time on one is limited but what difference does it make which way the motor/cutter turns, If it is not right turn the cutter over so the teeth face the opposite direction. Is this silly thinking on my part?

D) The motor is 1 phase or 3 phase, it can not be both. Neat set-up for speed control though. You've got like 12 speeds on that thing, right?

Back