Limited space; everything is a compromise

GarrettP1

Registered
Registered
Hi guys, and thank you in advance for your expertise.

I'm just getting into lathe and mill work (I've done a little on friends machines), but I've just taken a 3 year contract position here on Guam.

My "shop" is 1/2 of a 2 car garage.

I mainly work on firearms, but occasionally small engines as well (no automobile work while I'm here). I definitely need the ability to cut threads.

I think a combo machine is really the only thing that will give me what I want in such a small space, but I'm open to suggestions from you.

The Shop Fox M1018 looks good to me, and they seem to have a decent reputation for that price point.

BTW, I haven't seen any machine tools for sale here on Guam (Craigslist, Facebook, newspaper, etc) in the 2 months that I've been here. It would be great to be able to sell it here, rather than ship it back.

Suggestions?

Garrett

From Guam you might be able to save some money by buying direct from China rather than from the U.S. Most all of the Chinese machines are offered by other sellers, same machine, different label, maybe a couple small differences, nothing that matters.

Welcome aboard! I have an older Shoptask 3in1. I bought it used and have enjoyed it a lot. I will say straight out separate machines are nice due to not having to switch out the compound for a vise etc to switch between milling and turning. I have recently bought a PM727 mill so that I do not have to swap things around all the time. If a 3in1 is all you can fit in your space and it fits the work envelope you need you may want to look at Smithy they have some nice machines with decent features. And yes you can do good work on a 3in1. I'm sure others will offer opinions and be more then happy to help you blow the budget too! :cool 2:

I'm thinking that as large a presence as the military has had, and still has on Guam, that there would be a fair amount of machinery on the island. Might want to check for Gov. auctions or make inquires with some of the maintenance groups at the base. Might be bigger stuff than you require, but you never know. Mike

Thanks for the suggestions.

As to buying direct from China, yes, that should be easier. But, because of the Jones act, only U.S. made and flagged ships may deliver here. Air freight gets expensive.
I've been over to the Naval base, and there is some serious machine tooling there. I don't know how often it comes up, but thanks for the reminder about it.

I'll take a look at the Smithy offerings too.

Regards,

Garrett

From about 1978 until I had to retire in 1996, I went to Guam about every other year. It was a nice "visit" in the early years, but the last couple of times not so much. For example, our favorite beach bar had been torn down and replaced by yet another Japanese tourist hotel.

Besides the Naval Base, there is also Anderson AFB, the small sub base, NAVCOMSTA, and NAS. Although NAS may have been shut down by now.

If you have a friend in the Military there, might take advantage of military discount from vendors.

Bought and built a lot of stereo equipment while overseas.

Thanks for the suggestions.

As to buying direct from China, yes, that should be easier. But, because of the Jones act, only U.S. made and flagged ships may deliver here. Air freight gets expensive.
I've been over to the Naval base, and there is some serious machine tooling there. I don't know how often it comes up, but thanks for the reminder about it.

I'll take a look at the Smithy offerings too.

Regards,

Garrett
The Jones act requires ships that are starting in a US port and traveling to a US port be American. There should be no restriction on ships from other countries delivering to your location.
See if u can contact the Chinese/Japanese supplier for what u want, and u may find no problem and a much lower price on machine tools. Look on AliBaba for starters. I can recommend Sumore Tools as I got my lathe shipped directly from them. Usually a minimum order..5 or so .. but u can work out adding yours to someone's production run. If possible, do not get from a run scheduled for US delivery.

you may want to look at Smithy they have some nice machines with decent features. And yes you can do good work on a 3in1. I'm sure others will offer opinions and be more then happy to help you blow the budget too! :cool 2:

I have had a 3in1 (Smithy Granite 1324) for about 15 years and am very pleased with it, especially the lathe. The mill has its limitations - it is somewhat lacking in rigidity and set-up's can be a challenge. But that has not limited me in any way.

In the time I have had it, I have replaced one bearing, and replaced the motor brushes. In both instances, Smithy's technical assistance has been great. I think their main technician has been there for many years. Plus, there is a fairly active Smithy Yahoo Group, that has been a valuable source of information, both on upgrading/improving machine performance and general machining techniques.

We have since moved to a new house with more shop space, and I have purchased separate machines. But I kept the Granite and still use the lathe a lot. I really like that machine.

Back