limits of G0704

TRX

Active User
Registered
I have a project that involves milling four inch slots in 1/4" wall, annealed 4140 tubes.

It's a good justification for upgrading from my swaybacked antique mill to something new.

I'm tempted to overbuy and go for the G0755 just on general principles, but the G0704 would be a lot easier to get into the shop and shifted into position, has more than adequate travel in all three axes, and I could blow the saved money on a new vise and tooling.

Anyone have any suggestions?

I would stick to your principles and get the bigger machine!

You might want to look at the PM25. That is like the G0704, but with belt drive and variable speed.
I have a PM727 which is similar to the G0795. That one is a bit bigger than the 704.

I know the g0704 will do those slots for you with the right end mill and a lot more, i had one for a while and enjoyed it I was able to do a lot with mine at the time but quickly wanted a larger mill, thinking back I don't remember ever thinking it wasn't rigid enough for what I wanted to do with steel or aluminium in the table or column maybe once while using a boring head for large holes I remember it was a bit much for it , I like variable speed think that's a must for me. I think the spindle and motor is the g0704 weak link but within its limits you can do a lot with one and I felt like I could hold good tolerances once I learned the machines capabilities.
I would recommend if you can afford more and can support a heavier machine you will be glad you did as it's easy to want more machine quickly, have you checked out the PM-727 or the PM-30 those are a little bigger but also almost 2x the cost. I had all but placed an order on a 727 before I decided on a CNC mill.
Good luck deciding

You didn't say the with of the slots. But I would have no problem doing it on my G0704

Thanks, guys!

For you Precision Mathews fans, I don't have anything against PM, it's just that Grizzly's Missouri warehouse is close enough for me to drive and pick the machine up, and close enough to go beat on their door in person if I have a customer service problem.

I know there are variations between the RF45 and BF20 machines from the various importers, but it looks like they average out to "six of one, half a dozen of the other" as far as my requirements.

Yea that's a no brainer then if you can pick it up from grizzly and save shipping, possibly you can get a deal at the tent sale in a couple weeks.

That is one of the reasons I went with PM, they are about 1/2 hour away from me.
I picked my lathe and milling machine myself. I'm sure you'll be happy with
whatever Grizzly you choose. Personally I would look at the G0795 (similar to
the PM727) as it is a little bigger than the G0704. Especially in spindle to table
distance.

I know you can drive yourself crazy thinking that you should keep going bigger,
but picking a machine at least a little bigger than what you think you need now
is probably a good idea to allow you to grow into it as time goes on.

Aaargh!

Somehow I'd missed that one. I think you just cost me $525.00...

I'm assuming that you've downloaded the manuals from Grizzly's site? They can be really
helpful in understanding the differences between the machines. There should be links on
the same page that you would order from.

Back