Lincoln idealarc 300/300 tig welder

Mike8623

Registered
Registered
OK guys, got the above welder and it is a big machine. it is 220 and once plugged in it emits a low buzzing noise which I understand is normal and from something inside the machine. Once you turn the "on" switch on it works and welds just fine.

My question is I assume this machine is using electricity 24/7 and I don't use the machine every day so it is costing me money when not in use. It is also a pia to get under my welding table and plug and unplug everytime I use it. So I'm wanting to put in a switch somewhere along the plug in line and mount it on the wall so that turning the machine on and off is more convenient. So in essence a inline switch on the power cord. What type of switch should I use.

I'm assuming it isn't fed by a dedicated breaker you can just flip off. If so then you should run a dedicated one in from the main service using conduits
and standard electrical boxes just like an electrician would.
Mark S.
ps there is no main switch on that welder?

When you use the switch to turn it on can you hear a relay close in the machine. If so the buzz is probably a small transformer to power the relay's coil. Most machinery use this and yes it draws a small amount of power, probably about as much as the countless wall warts we have in the house powering radios and such.

Greg

I'd use the breaker. They are not intended to be used as a switch, but I'd just buy more of them if they went bad.
An old electrician told me once that switch duty breakers can be bought. I've never seen any myself though.

The electrical inspector told me it was legal to use the breaker as a disconnect, if the device was within so many feet of the panel. My phase converter was. I've been using the breaker as a switch for 11 years now. Square D panel but it never gets switched under load.

Greg

I've been using the breakers in my shop to turn the power on-off , for about twenty five years. Last year I had a breaker go bad . Pretty deal it protects everything that's forgotten and all the lights. YUPP no problem , I didn't like climbing around to shut each light off. I have one line I leave the battery chargers and my fridge. Don't be afraid to use your breakers there SAFTEY switches.

Ya me too been shutting lifts and compressors and bay fluorescents off by breakers 6 days a week going on 30 years now and shop was built mid 60s orig breakers.

Thanks Guys, never thought of using the breaker switch. I checked and yes there is a dedicated one for my welder. I just flipped it off and turned off my welder. Thanks to everyone that responded.............The small things you never think about.

Back