• We want to encourage those of you who ENJOY our site and find it USEFUL to DONATE and UPGRADE your membership from active member to donating or premium membership. If you want to know the differences in membership benefits, please visit THIS PAGE:

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/premium/

Donating memberships start at just $10 per year. These memberships are in fact donations that help pay our costs, and keep our site running!
    Thank you for your donation, God Bless You
  • June Project of the Month (Click "x" at right to dismiss)
[4]

linear encoder

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Karl_T

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
I'd like to try adding a linear encoder to my CNC control. The control needs quadrature differential input at 5 volts.

Anyone know of digital scales that conform to this spec?

So far my only option seems to make my own scale by purchasing a linear encoder kit from US Digital
http://www.usdigital.com/products/encoders/incremental/linear/LIN

Karl

JimDawson

Global Moderator
Staff member
Renishaw LM10, 1 micron would be my first choice. Still a few left on ebay.

lens42

Active User
+1 for the eBay Renishaw LM10s. You'll also have buy magnetic scale tape. I did my lathe DRO this way and it ended up very compact.

Karl_T

Honestly, my first look at this said,"I still have to build a swarf proof enclosure, might as well stay with USdigital"

Could I see what you did mechanically?

Karl

JimDawson

Global Moderator
Staff member
Honestly, my first look at this said,"I still have to build a swarf proof enclosure, might as well stay with USdigital"

Could I see what you did mechanically?

Karl
I have had these on here for over a year, uncovered, no problems so far. I just wipe off the strips when needed. I should make some shields, but I'm lazy. The solvent for the glue on the mag tape is Xylene, or Acetone. Not much else seems to affect it. The Y-axis is continuously soaked in way oil. Chips don't seem to effect anything. I think the readers are IP 67 rated. I am also using these on a 4 axis wood router, they work fine covered in sawdust.

The full story is here:
http://www.dawsoncontrols.com/millupgrade.html

The X axis

xscale.jpg

scaleclose.jpg

The Y-Axis
yscale.jpg

The Z- Axis
zscale6.jpg

The K-axis
kscale.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

Karl_T

Thanks for sharing.

Here I am thinking I need to replicate the enclosures for glass scales. Looks like its not necessary.

Karl

lens42

Active User
You can either buy tracks for the tape or make them. I milled a 0.4" wide channel in 0.25" x 1" aluminum bar. The mag tape has a self adhesive strip and also comes with a stainless self adhesive cover strip that goes over the top. It seems pretty robust, but I don't use flood coolant.
IMG_4477.JPG IMG_4520.JPG IMG_4528.JPG

IMG_4477.JPG IMG_4520.JPG IMG_4528.JPG

Karl_T

SOLD,

You convinced me this is the way to go.

chuckorlando

Does this work to accurately position the cnc? Acts bout like a dro?

lens42

Active User
Yes. That is the primary use of the Renishaw read heads. New, they are very expensive. They are really slumming as just DRO heads.

One warning to Karl T. The EBay Renishaw LM10s have a very short cable. I designed my setup so the heads don't move and send the quadrature signals to a little wireless transmitter under the saddle. If that interests you, search TouchDRO on Google. Of course you could always add more cable by splicing, but the wireless setup is. very slick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JimDawson

Global Moderator
Staff member
Does this work to accurately position the cnc? Acts bout like a dro?
Mine positions consistently to about +/- 0.0001 on the X and Y, and seems to be better than that on the Z. I'm using the 1 micron (0.000039 inch) readers, 25,400 counts to the inch. Mine are connected to my motion controller, but many DRO readouts would accept the output from the mag readers.

chuckorlando

Thanks. I have dros. Just trying to follow along. I really need to learn this stuff. To often a thread just has way to much info in it. This is one aspect so easy to follow. One more piece I suppose.

JimDawson

Global Moderator
Staff member
Thanks. I have dros. Just trying to follow along. I really need to learn this stuff. To often a thread just has way to much info in it. This is one aspect so easy to follow. One more piece I suppose.

I looked at my answer to you Chuck, and I didn't really answer your question.

The output from these mag readers is the same as a rotary encoder or most glass scales for a DRO. The DRO readout or motion controller has no idea what it is connected to it just ''sees'' the pulse train from the device. In the case of a DRO, the software converts that pulse train to a distance and displays that to the user. A DRO is just a fancy high speed counter. The standard output from most of these devices is 2 channel quadrature (A, B output) or 4 channel quadrature (A, /A, B, /B), although some (older I think) DROs use a sin/cos output.

astjp2

Active User
So what display would one need for a mill with z axis summing? Tim

[6]
[5] [7]