linear encoder

Karl_T

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
I'd like to try adding a linear encoder to my CNC control. The control needs quadrature differential input at 5 volts.

Anyone know of digital scales that conform to this spec?

So far my only option seems to make my own scale by purchasing a linear encoder kit from US Digital
http://www.usdigital.com/products/encoders/incremental/linear/LIN

Karl

Renishaw LM10, 1 micron would be my first choice. Still a few left on ebay.

+1 for the eBay Renishaw LM10s. You'll also have buy magnetic scale tape. I did my lathe DRO this way and it ended up very compact.

Honestly, my first look at this said,"I still have to build a swarf proof enclosure, might as well stay with USdigital"

Could I see what you did mechanically?

Karl

Honestly, my first look at this said,"I still have to build a swarf proof enclosure, might as well stay with USdigital"

Could I see what you did mechanically?

Karl

I have had these on here for over a year, uncovered, no problems so far. I just wipe off the strips when needed. I should make some shields, but I'm lazy. The solvent for the glue on the mag tape is Xylene, or Acetone. Not much else seems to affect it. The Y-axis is continuously soaked in way oil. Chips don't seem to effect anything. I think the readers are IP 67 rated. I am also using these on a 4 axis wood router, they work fine covered in sawdust.

The full story is here:
http://www.dawsoncontrols.com/millupgrade.html

The X axis

xscale.jpg

scaleclose.jpg

The Y-Axis
yscale.jpg

The Z- Axis
zscale6.jpg

The K-axis
kscale.jpg

xscale.jpg

yscale.jpg

zscale6.jpg

kscale.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing.

Here I am thinking I need to replicate the enclosures for glass scales. Looks like its not necessary.

Karl

You can either buy tracks for the tape or make them. I milled a 0.4" wide channel in 0.25" x 1" aluminum bar. The mag tape has a self adhesive strip and also comes with a stainless self adhesive cover strip that goes over the top. It seems pretty robust, but I don't use flood coolant.
IMG_4477.JPGIMG_4520.JPGIMG_4528.JPG

IMG_4477.JPG IMG_4520.JPG IMG_4528.JPG

SOLD,

You convinced me this is the way to go.

Yes. That is the primary use of the Renishaw read heads. New, they are very expensive. They are really slumming as just DRO heads.

One warning to Karl T. The EBay Renishaw LM10s have a very short cable. I designed my setup so the heads don't move and send the quadrature signals to a little wireless transmitter under the saddle. If that interests you, search TouchDRO on Google. Of course you could always add more cable by splicing, but the wireless setup is. very slick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back