linear encoder

Does this work to accurately position the cnc? Acts bout like a dro?

Mine positions consistently to about +/- 0.0001 on the X and Y, and seems to be better than that on the Z. I'm using the 1 micron (0.000039 inch) readers, 25,400 counts to the inch. Mine are connected to my motion controller, but many DRO readouts would accept the output from the mag readers.

Thanks. I have dros. Just trying to follow along. I really need to learn this stuff. To often a thread just has way to much info in it. This is one aspect so easy to follow. One more piece I suppose.

Thanks. I have dros. Just trying to follow along. I really need to learn this stuff. To often a thread just has way to much info in it. This is one aspect so easy to follow. One more piece I suppose.

I looked at my answer to you Chuck, and I didn't really answer your question.

The output from these mag readers is the same as a rotary encoder or most glass scales for a DRO. The DRO readout or motion controller has no idea what it is connected to it just ''sees'' the pulse train from the device. In the case of a DRO, the software converts that pulse train to a distance and displays that to the user. A DRO is just a fancy high speed counter. The standard output from most of these devices is 2 channel quadrature (A, B output) or 4 channel quadrature (A, /A, B, /B), although some (older I think) DROs use a sin/cos output.

So what display would one need for a mill with z axis summing? Tim

Back